How to set up a BA to use Android Auto??

eattsie9

• Member For: 12y 2d

Hey All

Been looking into this a bit trying to figure out the best way to rig my BA to be able to run android auto on my phone and use that for calls, music and navigation ect. Pretty much I want to be able to mount my phone on the dash and use that as the user interface the same way you would using a double Din touch screen type set up in cars without the silly one piece ICC.

Few options I've looked at and my thoughts.

A Parrot Bluetooth kit - this in theory should work assuming you can just use android auto and play audio across Bluetooth (yet to test this). In theory calls should be pretty good because it comes with a mic as part of the Bluetooth kit. down side seems to be I've seen a fair few reviews saying the parrot kits a pretty slow/laggy and a bit dodgy(controller buttons not working, bluetooth connection dropping ect) and audio quality is crap. Also seen comments that the kit completely takes over control of stereo controls for volume ect so guessing would lose use of steering wheel volume controls when in AUX mode. Finally they are like $300+

A generic Bluetooth receiver - Again should work assuming AA will work over Bluetooth and pretty cheap (around 30 bucks with falcon specific wiring harness) down side id say is calls will likely use phone microphone which would be sh*t quality calls and being so cheap id assume crap audio quality.

an ASL automedia AUX and USB wiring kit. I have a google pixel 3 meaning no aux output on my phone. But I was thinking I can get an adapter that has USB A and Aux to USB C and connect to my phone that way. This should charge and give audio playback. But I would have the same problem where calls would be using the phone mic so you would likely have to shout for the person on the other end to hear you and the phone mic will pick up the other person voice coming from the car speakers. 

Then Finally this little Bluetooth receiver I just stumbled across. Would be similar to thoughts on The Parrot although I've not looked at reviews yet.

Then lastly there is those super overprice Kayhan replacement units which in theory would be perfect but I have seen nothing bad negative reviews about the unit and the customer service plus they are roughly $1100...

Not too keen on the old aftermarket head unit in the tissue holder because at least last time I looked into it you couldn't use steering wheel controls with them.

Has anybody got something like this set up in their falcon? Or anybody got any other suggestions ect?

Cheers

Edited by eattsie9

• 1 year later...
  • Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 3m 18d

I've had colour screen parrots in my car since 2004 and a few years ago I upgraded to the still current version, the 9200, as it did give me more input options via the AUX such as audio from the phone, and even an SD card, that I never used.

My first was V2 and I decided to upgrade to a V3, which I think does do that thing with the controls that I'm sure the V2 didn't do, in that you can't use them when the unit is playing music, something I discovered on the way home, so it must be normal.

I also think V3 maybe sounds worse through the AUX, so I'm looking to abandon it and I suggest you don't worry about the AUX, it's never been a great sound source from day one in the Falcon, at least the B series cars.

I haven't heard too much about the newer V2 Kayhan unit, but specs wise it seems a lot better.  I did get a taste of their customer service though as I sent a message about features like wireless Android Auto and wireless charging and got bombarded with spam about the product, things I already knew, and kept being told that bluetooth is wireless, it can do wireless.  Well, wecome to the early 2000's Kayhan, you have Bluetooth, and it's wireless, in your unit.  How proud they must be.

I figured a V3 with integrated wireless Carplay and Android Auto and to use the little cubby hole as a wireless charge bay were good ideas, but apparently not, they fell on deaf, spamming ears.

On the whole I like the V2 unit, but it's about to be 2021 and the feature set is no there, especially for a unit running aftermarket Android, they are the easiest to get wireless Android Auto running on.  Otherwise I like the fact that all my music will be routed through the proper audio channels, not the AUX.

So it's been a while since your post, so maybe the V2 is up your alley?  It seems expensive, but the MKi9200 Parrot unit is pretty damn expensive these days, those things have gone up since I bought the first one.

I don't drive the car much anymore, but I would like to update it as my daily has all the new tech and I do like it.  So I'll keep on looking.

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 3m 18d

Oh, and forget my small interaction with Kayhan, I have found the Ford Forums thread where a lot of stuff went bad and they could not get a hold of him.

Seems related to issues with the FG cars rather than B Series?

I guess, for how advanced they were when they came out, they are pretty basic by todays standards, they were just the first canbus Falcons.