fg ii xr6t manual ute driveline clunks

Lithfkn

• Member For: 4y 8m 8d

Hi all

I've been getting some knocks and noises in the back of the ute for a couple months now. Started off hardly noticeable but now it's a common occurance.

First off are the knocks. When taking off with the car stone cold it hardly happens but once warmed up I get a "THUD" and sometimes a "THUD THUD" on the rear left then rear right straight after when using very light throttle. It's like someone hitting the axle with a piece of wood. If I up the throttle a fair bit and ride the clutch more it seems to disappear. Everything on the suspension is fine. All new leaf bushes and brand new koni reds. The spare wheel is tight.

Sometimes a nice thud in the ass when I change gears from 1st to 2nd semi hard, not slamming the clutch.

Now just recently I've noticed like a humming noise from say 50km/h and on but goes like "whom whom whom whom". Very faint but it's there. Can't pin point if its front or rear but I presume rear.

Also getting slight diff whine when travelling around 80-110km/h and also the whine gets heavier at even slower speeds mainly when doing a long right hand turn.

I don't drive it hard, a little spurt here and there. I originally thought suspension, hence why I did the bushes and shocks. The centre bearing is still good. Now I'm thinking it's the diff starting to give way.

Anyone experienced similar and what did you do to fix it?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 20d

I had tapping noises, squeaks and rattles under my ute after I lowered it a few months ago. Turned out being the hand brake cable bouncing of the exhaust. I tightened up all the nuts and bolts as well . No more noises.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
2 hours ago, xr6666turbo said:

Sounds like Diff bushes. I think the have a life span of 10 minutes.

Diff bushes for sure...

• Member For: 4y 8m 8d

Driveline guy couldn't find anything that would make the knock. Reckons the whine is standard ford issue and its reasonably normal and that ripping the diff apart and rebuilding wouldn't fix it. I reckon I need a second opinion.