Tune Advice after Mods

pottypirate

• Member For: 9y 1m 15d

Gday guys,

My Ba xr6t ute is in at my mechanics at the moment getting a new transmission installed. Prior to that I just fitted a full xforce exhaust system. Its off to the tuners next ( not booked in yet) to get injectors, valve springs and a tune. Im hopping for around 300rwkw or close to and just wondering if at that power the turbo needs is it actuator work or something I read. Hi torque seem to think not but Chiptorque seem to think so. Has anyone got similar mods and what was needed  only other mod is panel k&n filter

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 5d

Stock actuator is 3 or 5psi IIRC.  Generally, "rule of thumb" is actuator spring is half of max boost.  I.e. 14psi Max boost.  7psi actuator.  Having said that a lot of people install 12psi Actuators.  But doing this means lowest commandable boost level will be 12psi.  Best to see what the tuner recommends.  He might be able to tune it with the stock spring to your power level.

Your biggest problem might end up being the stock wastegate port.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

Your intercooler and fuel pump will not go past 260rwkw comfortably 

The turbo rear housing will definitely need to be Ported & Flapped and at the same time definitely fit a Genuine Garret 7 psi actuator 

This should comfortably nail 255/260rwkw @ 11-12 psi flat 

• Member For: 9y 1m 15d

Thanks guys. Your probably just telling me what I thought and didnt want to hear but oh well it is what it is. Booked in next monday at Real Dyno Performance in brissie for valve springs, injectors and tune but my 3200 worth of work sounds like it may be more in the range of 6500 by the time the turbo gets worked on and intercooler. Was trying to get away with minimal work as I dont drive it hard but sounds like I have a bit more work to do to make it reliable

Could I get away with a hdi intercooler or not worth the money, best to just buy plszamann or process west kit? Any other cheaper coolers worth buying or do I need to just fork out the cash?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

On the B series the HDI cooler kit is cheap and works ok for low 300’s

its a bit of a pig to install vs say the Plazmaman 800hp kit for the B series which basically bolts in 

it’s just the way it is now days with the older platform as the Valve springs will probably want to stop all the fun as you get close to the 300rwkw mark anyway 

The fuel pump on the B series is all out of flow at around the 260rwkw mark also 

Sometimes you just have to tick one off at a time and get it all tuned to suit 

The last BF I did was a F6 Typhoon and managed to nail 290rwkw with a ZF auto and around 11 psi on 98 fuel 

Walbro intank 255

Valve springs 

Full exhaust 

port and Flapper modification 

Garrett 7 psi actuator 

Stock F6 intercooler 

Air box modification 

KPM 1000cc injectors 

New coils

Major service