Fg Head studs

Slowxr6t

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

hi guys, I'm aiming for 350ish rwkw, I dont want to have to start spending cash  on zf because it looks to me like a never ending money pit, and for me I think 350rwkw will be heaps of grunt given the torque these motors have. Anyway with a gt3582 .70 comp housing, external gate, pw st2 cooler, exhaust, intake, fuel system, v springs, atomic oil pump and 18 or so psi boost. Will my motor need head studs? Can head be taken off block with engine still in car? Thanks guys.

No Brad was very clearly talking about head studs needing to be done from 280rwkw, he was also telling me engine had to come out to take head off and that their OS washers fit straight in. Maybe he just wants to sell more stuff? He is a really helpful bloke though.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 15d
10 hours ago, Slowxr6t said:

Can head be taken off block with engine still in car?

I think you'll struggle getting the last two in, if you're doing the 'no head service' method and just switching the head bolts out.  If you're putting the studs in and putting the head on over the top... well, just open your bonnet and try and visualize that hahaha.

I did studs and am around that power atm. But I had to do a gasket anyways so I pulled the motor out to do everything.  Plus I've found that you always want more so for the little extra effort and cost may as well do it now and not have to revisit later.

As for the flex plate I believe the main issue is the bolts coming lose before it cracking. But im not sure at what power level this becomes an issue or if it is always an issue.  I just made sure I did mine up properly.

also if you pull the motor out you can do a sexy paint job :P

Edited by finnas

• 5 months later...

I found out you can do head studs with motor in the car, with all the prep done and new head gasket on the block, you have the head off and on a clean surface, put the studs down into the head the correct way and use rubber bands to hold the studs in the head, put the rubber bands holding firmly the back 2 studs pulling in toward each other and they will stay in the head, do that with all the studs, hold one stud onto another one, sit head on, take bands off and screw in studs, works a treat