FG turbo engine build

ERICtheBERIC

• Member For: 9y 6m 24d

So im finally starting the engine build for my BA xr6t sedan now that the tax dollars have come in. I bought an FG n/a motor a few months back with the intention of stripping it and doing the basic mods before swapping it into the car with the stock BA turbo and the rest of the running gear (sump, ECU, plenums, etc) . The mods I have planned are as follows:

valve springs (purchased)
billet oil pump gears

maybe FG turbo exhaust valves depending on price

injectors

fuel pump

intercooler (already purchased a nizpro core)

turbo side intake with crossover delete, 12 psi actuator

mild exhaust with high flow cat

tune

The aim is to achieve around 500 whp and have the car as my daily and do a bit of circuit work on weekends. Ive read that some people prefer to use the FG egas motor for a turbo conversion, my question is whether its worthwhile for me to buy an egas motor for my application as they can be sourced quite cheaply. And could somebody possibly explain to me what the differences between the FG petrol and egas motors actually are as ive read some conflicting information. Cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 12y 7m 22d

the fg gas motor green top is the better option for your build

the na motor has weak rods and will begin to be unreliable at the 500hp mark especially on 98

the gas motor has very high compression for a turbo motor but its pretty common to see 400kws on 98

on e85 more power can be made

the price difference between a na and the gas motor is only a couple hundred bux so id say it worth it you should also try and get a fg turbo intake manifold  

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

The main difference is pistons, rods and exhaust valves. Why not put something decent while your nearly there? Dont forget to sort the dipstick out before you put the BA sump back on