Intercooler water spray

HOTXR6T

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 8m 9d

About 10 years ago there was quite a few people looking at spraying water onto the intercooler to drop the temperature. But there has not been anything I can find in the last 5 or more years. I have tried the search here "intercooler water spray" you get over 800 pages, anything containing the word "intercooler" comes up. I am in Tennant Creek NT, from November to April, it goes over 40c every day, the road surface temp, is over 65c. I am looking to reduce the temp just before I hit the accelerator, its a small town, so once is all you get. I am also installing a PW stage one intercooler as soon as I can get to Adelaide and get Jeturbo  to tune her. Does anyone still run water sprays on their intercoolers?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

it's certainly not a common thing... but it does do the job. nothing wrong with those 5 year old threads that display information about it :)

try this search:

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/search/?q=intercooler water spray&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 1m 23d

I looked into this for my RTV but decided against it in favour of spraying water directly into the piping after the intercooler. Have a read up on water injection of you're interested, by the time your done messing with a set up to spray your cooler you might be better off doing injection. No need to plan ahead and get your cooler temp down before nailing it, water injection set up on a boost switch is on demand and pretty much set and forget. 

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 8m 9d
22 hours ago, k31th said:

it's certainly not a common thing... but it does do the job. nothing wrong with those 5 year old threads that display information about it :)

try this search:

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/search/?q=intercooler water spray&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Thanks for the link. The only reason I was looking for more recent threads is, most things that worked are still popular.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

Just look more so what car manufactures actually fitted to get an idea if its worthwhile.

Subaru wrx had water sprayers in some models, they were all a top mount arrangement that is great for spool but terrible for heat soak (hence the water)

I haven't seen a factory fitted front mounts with water sprayers, if you have a decent front mount in the path of air, away from heat there should not be a huge reason for you to need a water sprayer. Unless you doing stationary burnouts, high load and no airflow.

if you have a top mount territory cooler, there most likely advantages to a water sprayer - but they heat soak pretty quickly anyway so your better off with a front mount.

It all comes down to what your trying to achieve with the car. 

Jets verry highly regarded around here, your best of having a talk to him when you car tuned about it.

On 07/07/2019 at 9:04 PM, HOTXR6T said:

its a small town, so once is all you get. 

you may find your new pwr cooler is good at maintaining temp even in heated conditions to do an adequate cooling job for low speed jabs on throttle. 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 6m 23d

Early evos had intercooler sprayers, worked well enough I guess.  Its just of those things that the "majority" of people will forget too check and it becomes too much of a hassle to have it included.

Water or water/meth injection will probably be your best bet with a larger intercooler too keep intake temps down

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 12d

I remember reading an extensive report on water spray testing years ago- turns out that the timing of the spray is crucial- and it wasnt when youd think it would need it.