Top 1/4 of the tank goes quicker then the rest of the tank

• Member For: 4y 10m 18d

Hey guys so ive noticed a weird little issue on my 08 fg ute.    

I put a full tank of petrol in it the other day and on my drive home I noticed I was using a significant amount of fuel, way more then usual for a 65km drive. The dts (fuel range thing) said I had 769km when I got back in the car at the servo.   when I got home it read 620km.   Now on my drive home I was watching the fuel range decrease by 1km every second (probably wasnt even a second).   Then about 3/4 of the way home the fuel range finally started to slow back down and go back to normal according to the fuel gauge I lost a 1/4 tank on that trip when I can normally get roughly 120km out of a 1/4 tank 

I checked everywhere and there appears to be no leaks.    So im baffled on how I lost a 1/4 of a tank.. any ideas?

Sorry in advance if that's a bit hard to understand 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

100% normal for almost any car... the fuel tank has a float sensor in it that has a bit of time that means it'll sit on "full" for a while then suddenly drop, which can cause these calculations your car is doing to go a little wonky for a time until it equalises. I doubt you've actually lost a 1/4, it was just not filled to "actually full" then showed "full" on the gauge due to this reason.

it also estimates how much you should get based on some previous driving, which doesn't take into account the types of driving you'll be doing in the next stint. You'll find it's accuracy is fine if you do the same driving all of hte time or if you go on a long road trip you'll see the calculation max out and be reasonably correct.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

using an app like fuellog will allow you to monitor your consumption more accurately, if the car has been modded/tuned.

• Like 1