What is needed to run fg stock boost pressure on a bf xr6 turbo

Shinall

• Member For: 4y 9m 1d

How can I get my bf to run stock fg boost pressure and maybe the overboost function as well on my bf xr6 turbo. Or what else would be worth swapping over from a fg turbo to my bf, I'm just looking for something to do to my car that isn't going to cost heaps. Ps I'm new to the turbo world and this community I have owned a au xr6 before, I love this bf so much and the 6 speed auto is excellent it has changed my thoughts on auto's. 

But yeah basically I'm looking for something to do to this beast any recommendations nothing to expensive. 

It's a 05 bf xr6 turbo with around 138000kms on the odm

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

You need to get it tuned to change the boost level .

It isn't quite just "run stock FG boost pressure" as they have a different turbo to BF so will behave a bit differently.

If you basically want a bit more power, a tuner can do that. Anything more than a small increase and you will need to consider changing the cat, injectors and maybe fuel pump. Cost depends a bit on what you can fit yourself and what hardware your tuner is happy to work with.

Have a dig around the site for recommended tuners in your area and look at the 300 club section for the aorta of things people have done for that sort of power level and what they have learners along the way.

It is amazing what these cars will do with a reasonably modest spend on some hardware basics and a good tune. Enjoy!

• Member For: 4y 9m 1d

I can fit most parts myself. I will have a look at what you suggested. I'm just looking to up the boost a bit without doing anything major just yet haven't got the fund's and also looking for more of the flutter noise from the turbo I've heard a turbo side intake will do that. 

I'm loving the turbo life I owned a au xr6 before but I didn't like it. The bf is amazingly fast and the 6 speed auto is the best auto I've driven. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

for the "a little bit more power" requirement; injectors + catalytic convertor + fuel pump + custom dyno tune = around 300rwkw.

if you want flutter, you can just cut a hole in the portion of your airbox section before the airfilter behind the headlight and block off the BOV and it'll make the "tututu" sound with a bit more than stock boost levels when you suddenly close the throttle.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d

^^ what these guys said

@ShinallWithout doing bodgies you can't just turn up the boost on these cars.

Ultimate cheap mod is the holesaw treatment for the bottom of your airbox as k31th said, which doesn't cost anything other than a 3" holesaw from bunnings.

You may be well able to fit parts yourself but the car will need to be tuned to suit to have any reasonable gain.

Eg. an exhaust will may give you a very slight performance increase plus a decent note, but $/kw you'd be far better off putting that money towards a tune (if you don't want to spend on both).

Work out how much - if anything - you're willing to spend and we can make further suggestions.

Where are you local?