Boost leak after installing turbo-side induction, why?

DoubleCee33

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

that description is much better, thanks :)

it sounds like a valve is sticking barely closed as you build the base amount of boost and then is opening when you get above 3psi. The only valve that could do this in the pathway is the BOV. The description reasonably clearly indicates the BOV opening while you've actually still got the throttle open (which is not how it should operate in normal conditions). Maybe the BOV is installed backwards or the BOV's actual internal valve seal is compromised and is opening when it should be shut.

try blocking off the BOV connections to see if it builds boost properly (this isolates the problem to the BOV if it builds boost correctly).  

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 10d
36 minutes ago, DoubleCee33 said:

The blow off valve was completely removed and all of the lines connected to the above were either blocked off with screws or removed and blocked off completely.

1 minute ago, k31th said:

it sounds like a valve is sticking barely closed as you build the base amount of boost and then is opening when you get above 3psi. The only valve that could do this in the pathway is the BOV. The description reasonably clearly indicates the BOV opening while you've actually still got the throttle open (which is not how it should operate in normal conditions). Maybe the BOV is installed backwards or the BOV's actual internal valve seal is compromised and is opening when it should be shut.

I thought bov leak, but if its gone corectly then it wont be. if hes left the bov connected and blocked the vac going to the intake/bov that that would explain everything as the bov would be dumping at spring pressure override.

upload a picture mate.

• Member For: 4y 10m 5d
3 minutes ago, BeerTurbo said:

I thought bov leak, but if its gone corectly then it wont be. if hes left the bov connected and blocked the vac going to the intake/bov that that would explain everything as the bov would be dumping at spring pressure override.

upload a picture mate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366302366774097/2899080506829591/?comment_id=2899087910162184&reply_comment_id=2899106740160301&notif_id=1561167987099684&notif_t=group_comment_mention

that's a post I made the other day regarding this issue, pictures are attached.  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

it's not a public group, so we can't see it... and I doubt that the fact that's a "closed" group would let you set the permissions to "public" on your post within it.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

it all looks connected well there, so the likely situation is that one of your plastic pipes has split partially and only holds 3psi before it presses itself open or a similar thing is happening with the stopper you've used to block off the BOV port.

• Member For: 4y 10m 5d

Regarding your suggestion of the plastic piping: that's exactly what Antz Performance said and they recommended I take the plastic piping that connects the turbo to the start of the intercooler piping completely off so that I could check for any cracks underneath, which I did and there were none.

Re your plastic stopper suggestions: that's also what I initially thought but then I took the plastic stopper off and there were no holes or cracks or anything like that, so just to make 100% sure I reinforced it with that piece of  hose that used to connect to the blow-off valve and put an extra tight clamp on to it and there was no improvement.

It's definitely a strange situation, Antz themselves are backing the idea that it's a boost leak but they have absolutely no idea where because as you have probably guessed just about every box has been tipped.

I'll be taking it to the mechanic tomorrow morning to see what he has to say but I don't know where we go from here...