Boost leak after installing turbo-side induction, why?

DoubleCee33

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

looks like your only course of action from this point is to track the entire piping section from the turbo outlet to the throttle body, including hte intercooler, which requires taking off the front-bar to investigate the intercooler connection pipes.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 23d

I'd put my money on a leak in the inter cooler piping, as per a crack in the plastic pipes like Keith has mentioned of a leak in a Joiner.

Back in the day in my old ep82 Turbo starlet, I had a very similar issue, it would only build up to 5 PSI boost then back to zero when getting on it, I looked for ages, thinking it was my Turbosmart 2 way boost controller. Turned out it was a small split in a silicon joiner, and it for some reason could just hold 5 psi no more and after that it would let all the boost out.

you can buy intercooler pipe kits online cheap. I would suggest doing that to see if it helps. worst case it doesnt, and you still have new intercooler pipes rather than the sh*t plastic factory ones.

• Member For: 4y 9m 13d

UPDATE: So, it was taken back to the mechanic that originally did the installation on the turbo site induction kit this morning, and after being on the hoist for about four hours, after pulling off the entire front bumper, upon further inspection of the intercooler piping in its entirety, the mechanic WAS NOT able to find a single leak, a single loose fitting pipe that has slipped, a single source of possible boost leak anywhere in the intercooler piping in the engine bay or lower down behind the front bumper.

He also checked the catalytic converter, nothing, when I got off the phone to him at about 4:30 this afternoon he told me that they were about to check the ECU to make sure that it wasn't a computer or electrical issue and that failing all of that tomorrow they would check the wastegate to make sure that it was operating as it should.

Other than that he has absolutely no idea what the source could be, him and the three mechanics he employs, about 150 years of automotive experience between them, and he reckons not one of them including himself has ever seen this issue, ever.

He said he would have put his money on it being a leak lower down behind the front bumper, he was absolutely dead wrong.

So now we wait to see what the results from the ECU test and from the wastegate test tomorrow are.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah; that's just unlucky if you've got an electrical issue. you can get a brand-new wastegate solenoid to check if that's the issue. could also be the "boost pressure sensor" but that's less likely as I would think it would produce a much wackier symptom set as compared to what you're getting.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Remove all turbo side intake. Return to stock and then see what happens. Something is definitely wrong.   Turbo side intakes do normally require a re-tune. 

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

I can see the bloody boost leak, its right near the turbo where the boosted air comes out.

id have it diagnosed/fixed within 10 minutes. You could also have a split pipe near the throttle body as that looks like the original plastic one too.

Edited by skidxr6t

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d
13 hours ago, arronm said:

Turbo side intakes do normally require a re-tune. 

I was going to suggest the fact that it hadn't had a tune could actually be the cause however I'm assuming this mechanic had done something about that?  Can we get confirmation on that?