Issues after NA > Turbo Motor Swap

TDJ187

• Member For: 4y 9m 7d

I started with a NA FG XR6 & ZF 6sp, auto and decided on a power upgrade rather than a car upgrade (hoping to save $$) which has gone south dramatically! I am after any suggestions or advise that may help the following... 

When I collected car the mechanic proceeded to tell me that he doesn't really know what he is doing with the FG as opposed to the B series. 

I was told by the guy to take it to a performance tune shop and have the motor "paired". 

No one had any clue and now I have the following issues;

Car only engages P, R, N, D and doesn't change from 1st once put in D.

Secondly is the driveline upgrades (tailshaft, diff) and how important they are? 

Next I have an issue with ABS brakes, shuddering and skidding (maybe a bad tube?) 

The security feature and factory config on old engine ecu have been turned off, no key FOB or safety features active. 

The boost controller? is apparently not wired up, but I am unsure what to look for or where to find it. 

I am fairly good with the parts side of it but I have no idea on turbos and what's required in regards to maintenance and repair. I really like the FG and hope this doesn't leave a bad taste. 

I feel as though a new car would have been cheaper, to this point I have spent about $8k and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. 

PLEASE HELP! I will help where I can in return. 

Aprreciate your help guys! 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Solid example of why we tell everyone to sell the NA and just buy the turbo ! 

If you want answers start with donating to the forum mate, you’ve got more to spend anyway so start where you’ll get correct answers ;) 

• Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

just burn it ! 

seriously why do people think its a simple straight swap? as jet said we say sell your na and just buy a turbo for this reason. 

club FG take note ! ha 

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 12d

the cheapest way is the dearest way...

Take it to a tuner that knows these cars and get them to sort it. its gonna cost....

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d
18 hours ago, TDJ187 said:

When I collected car the mechanic proceeded to tell me that he doesn't really know what he is doing with the FG as opposed to the B series.

Sounds like you need a better mechanic.

Tailshaft - 

If you keeping the car stock you might get away with standard NA tail-shaft and Diff.

Personally I would look at getting yourself a turbo LSD diff and decent SH turbo tail-shaft or new replacement tail-shaft before you go chacing any power upgrades. 

they proberly did not connect the boost controller because they couldn't figure out all the electric issues and did not want the additional headache,

would be along the same lines with the ABS stereo and all that, if they have changed the ECM to a turbo one, they have not paired it with the car correctly and basically everything up sh*t creek.

you will be best to go see someone who knows whats they are doing.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

his page doesn't instill confidence... I've seen him posting his ads all over fb groups for years and nobody has recommended him before in any of those groups, so that also doesn't instill confidence... that's just my feeling, though, and he could be perfect for the job :idunno:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Ok fair enough. He has been recommended by Roland over at Pcmtec in some of their forum posts. I haven't had anything to do with him but that was why I made my comment.