oil pressure Gauge installation help

Aus123

• Member For: 4y 10m 26d

hey

I want to fix my standard oil pressure gauge that came with the car .

have this thing already installed https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Auto-Meter-AU6127-Oil-Pressure-Gauge/245151115?iid=361896552400&rt=nc

it was working fine till workshop replaced my engine and since then it  start being unreliable. first symptoms was, there was a few second delay from when pushing the paddle than noticed the needle wan't moving when pushing the paddle,works sometimes or jump to 75 psi at once and etc.

thought that was crazy.

cut to the chase, wanted to get some help on how to troubleshooting this myself as I have no idea what to look for.

planning to spend some time to figure it out tomorrow and also install a new  AFR gauge if I can first.

from my research the gauge is not so good but is helpful at this stage as I have other plans to happen  and leaving upgrading it for future.

looked at the Auto Meters Manual but it was so fking confusing and couldn't find a installation guide on XR6 Forum.

if you have the links and tips, just past it so I read through it.,

by the way its FG -T

thanks

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 15d

I had the same issue with this exact same gauge.  Im guessing that when the pressure sender that comes with the kit was installed, it has had some thread sealant put on it. Either that or oil has coated the thread in to the block. Either way the sender earths via that connection. To solve this I ran an extra wire from the bottom of the sender where it screws into the block to another bolt on the block. Just to make sure it earths properly. Fixed it straight away :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

got to this stag. wasn't sure what is the first sensor (1 grey port) is for and first I thought that is the sensor for oil pressure as it had small leak around it.

can some one plz explain what those numbering I have done on the photo is for

nu 1 not sure?

nu 2 not sure?

nu 3 not sure?

nu 4 should be oil sender.

nu 5 is for oil pressure that goes to the gauge.

YVJaQz0.jpg

thanks

Edited by k31th
fixed pic

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

2 is the banjo bolt where the turbocharger oil supply line attaches to.

3 is attached to 2 which is the stock oil pressure sensor plug, the black plug hanging there should be plugged into it.

can't remember what #1 is... but the grey plug should be plugged into it (might be the other way around with the grey/black plugs, but they'll only go onto whichever one they actually fit on).

4 isn't marked on the pic, but if it's the grey plug, refer to the grey plug above :)

On 21/06/2019 at 10:59 PM, finnas said:

I had the same issue with this exact same gauge.  Im guessing that when the pressure sender that comes with the kit was installed, it has had some thread sealant put on it. Either that or oil has coated the thread in to the block. Either way the sender earths via that connection. To solve this I ran an extra wire from the bottom of the sender where it screws into the block to another bolt on the block. Just to make sure it earths properly. Fixed it straight away :)

Y must ve done how I have done. But didnt  work. 

Plz confirm

yEz4U0t.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 15d

Sorry, hadn't seen this.  Yeah that's what I meant.  Mine is installed into a sandwich plate on to the oil filter and a wire grounded to the back of the alternator. But the above should have the same effect if its all grounded correctly.

Did you end up getting it going in the end?