Cooling Issues

MrGPz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 4m 7d

Having some issues with cooling (BA XR6T). the needle sits at 1/4 normally, under load or in town it rises to 1/2. Never goes above 1/2. Is this normal? Could it have the wrong temperature sender?

It is using cooling fluid, about half a litre per 200kms. No sign of water in the engine oil. Transmission cooler is external.

The engine and radiator have been flushed, new hoses, new heater core. new pressure cap.

Just found out that only one fan is running. The book says both fans run together and they are both two speed. can anyone confirm this? Can I test this with Forscan?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yes, that's normal behaviour for the needle.

both fans are supposed to run and they can run at variable speed based on the voltage supplied, which as far as I know is mostly 2 speeds. No idea if forscan can test it.

for the losing of coolant, look around all of the coolant lines and their joints and see if there's the telltale white dried up coolant and then clean up around the areas and then drive again in the same way that you know loses coolant and then see if the same area has the issue and then fix as appropriate.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

you can use forscan to monitor engine coolant temp, whitch in turn will give you an idea on how the fans should be.

if you can find a fan switch then maybe you can use it, I have never looked tbh.

low speed fan will come on around 96degc and high speed fan will be 107degc.

they also come on based on engine load, but your not going to be able to see if your high speed fan comes on at 0.8 load, as you will be accelerating and moving :P

the stock gauge only tap halfway when the high speed fan comes on, that is why its hardly ever there, especially if your just putting around or idling in the driveway it will be hard to ever see the HSF.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

on my BA at least the low speed fan is only one fan on and high speed both come on.

in forscan is there a fan test, or pcm diagnostic that runs through the circuits? I think ive done something like this before, but brain memory is hazzy.