7psi Wastegate actuator

Dylan3399

• Member For: 4y 10m 6d

Hey guys I got a new turbosmart wastegate actuator with a 7psi spring for my Bf mk2 xr6t will the 7psi spring be too much and cause the ecu to recognise overboosting and cause “limp mode” to occur as my boost gauge only shows around 5psi on the standard Garrett wastegate actuator and I’m not sure what the factory boost cut limit is programmed to in the ecu.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yes, it will be too much

boost cut depends on a few different factors, but it's around 10psi.

you should put a stock actuator in if you have a stock car.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

this information is accurate ^

I installed a turbo-smart actuator on the weekend, set the preload as turbo-smart manual says, bypassing the boost controller and running just actuator control the car went to 15psi. My car only has a highflow cat with stock exhaust and that was enough to over-boost it.

Im going to try setting the preload down to a minimal amount, but ive also got a modified rear housing on order for a larger wastegate flap.

if you bypass the factory boost controller, have a stock exhaust/car and install the turbo-smart correctly so it only runs 7psi then the car/ecu/pcm wont freak out.

if you have a stock ecu and connect it via the stock boost controller it will potentially cause issues, you need to have the duty cycle/boost map modified when changing the actuator..remember the stock actuators like 4 or 5 psi and the ford ecu try's to use the boost controller to target 6 or so psi, so if you change the base actuator it will all happen to quickly for the stock config.