fairlane motor turned into a xr6t for my xr6t 2005 ba

xr6chik

• Member For: 4y 10m 22d

hey my xr6t 2005 ba mkll falcon oil sump blew. so I put a fairlane motor in and added the parts needed for the engine to be turbo. the car is running rough. its not liking it and I dont know what needs to be done? computer swaps etc?  hoses and wiring looms etc. im broken I cant get it going. some help would b amazing please instead of judgement. I had free help not affording to go in the shop. I had mates help to get it all back together but I feel like its put me in a hole I cant get out of since its not driving. . I need my car. I understand it probably needs a scan tool and tune and dynotune etc. or does it just need a new motor? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

what's the details on it "running rough"? is it idling OK? is it only when you rev it? is it making any boost and if so, how much boost? does it have all of the stock bolt-on's for a turbo BA (e.g. intercooler, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbocharger, exhaust, intake, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, T-MAP sensor, ECU)?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 8d

as above, did you use all the gear from the motor that matches your computer?

if you still using the turbo computer it vital you changed the MAP sensor & Fuel Pressure regulator onto the replacement motor, otherwise it will just run like trash.

• Member For: 4y 10m 22d

everything has been swapped over to the fairlane engine from the old engine. the idoling is sh*t. its over boosting when I try thrash it just to move anywhere otherwise it will just stall. everything is the same from the old motor. I just dont get why its like this. im scared its going to blow up again. a scan tool got put on and a few faults showed up. it started reving loud and playing up. since that's been put in its worse. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

ok, if it's idling and not revving or making power properly, then it's likely you have a N/A tune in the ECU and a stock N/A ECU with the turbo hardware. Get your mates to put back the N/A T-MAP sensor and fuel regulator to start with and it should idle OK on the current tune and will handle slow revving but won't handle boost (and you should not attempt to boost it until it's tuned).

while you're at it, get the people that helped to list exactly what was changed, otherwise we're just guessing based on what you've told us (which is not much).

• Member For: 4y 11m 4d

Did you literally just unbolt all of the external turbo motor parts from the XR6T motor and bolt them on the Fairlane N/A motor?

The turbo motors have different pistons - they are dished to lower the compression ratio necessary for a turbo. N/A pistons with a turbo is a no-no; thrashing it will kill it.

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 4d

Unless someone can physically know what they’ve done, it’s guess work as to what exactly your problem is, but yes, any NA motor shoved straight into an xr6t with the bits whacked on it isn’t a good start.

I know money may be an issue, but save up and take your car to a mechanic or tuner instead of a bunch of people who clearly have nfi what they’re doing or you’ll end up forking our more money on another replacement motor after you blow it up again and again. It’s probably the only way you’re going to get it running properly tbh. 

Threads like this remind me of how sad it is these cars used to be extremely desirable, expensive and usually looked after.... now they’re the new VN crappdore 😭

Edited by HRM Fluff of Cornwall
  • Like 2