OFC wire Sourcing

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Hey all,

Prepping the rig for a fairly big audio upgrade.

Bought subs already, got the kayhan audio icc (mainly for its RCA outputs and awesome snr, thd values). 

Will be getting alpine type r speakers all round, amps still tbd as I'm negotiating price deals on them.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I am looking into getting some wire for the install, specifically 2 gauge and 4 gauge OFC wire. Really struggling to source this wire from aus at decent prices. Wondering if anyone here can help out or know of any place to get power wire from? 

Pls do not mention jaycar, I know they sell it but its not the best and the price is a little steep.

Cheers all!

Edited by biddie_fiddler
Posted by mistake rip

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

have never bought Oxygen-Free-Copper cables; so I wouldn't be able to help, specifically... but if you're not going to be running a ridiculous amount of amps for a long period of time (e.g. the heat factor etc in the wiring), I don't think it's worth purchasing it at all, over conventional amp power wires. I think 2 gauge is more than enough and hard enough to install, let alone 0 gauge which I've installed a couple of times, too... my sound system is already too loud in my car for reasonably long periods of listening (more than 6min) and it's only on 4 gauge power wiring :)

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

two amps, will be running around 1500W combined output. 

I've done many installs for car systems and I get pretty pedantic about it. They've all been family and friends cars with relatively low budget builds. So buying the "amp wiring kits" was always fine. Mine however is gonna be a bit different and I want to it right. 

I've done the calculations, and you're right. 4 gauge in theory would work for my system but its on the edge. To be safe I'm going 2 or 1 gauge wire to a Power Distribution block and splitting it from there in the boot area to 4 gauge for each amp. Got a main fuse going in the engine bay, and 2 more fuses for each amp.

Being fairly high end amps, the power to them needs to be "clean". OFC wire for this is the way to go.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Getting there!!

I've found the 0 Gauge wires in my research but not been able to find the 2 Gauge. For my setup 0 gauge wire is way overkill, not to mention an

b$@tch to install

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Be careful Big difference in cable material. You want tinned copper not CCA. 2G from Jaycar $17. Just buy that at least you know its the correct stuff. Its only about $100

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 7m 13d
6 hours ago, Rab said:

Ran these kits on my focal system but in 2 gauge power to distribution block but I was running AAAALOT more than 1500wrms 

4gauge for a 1500watt system is totally fine so I’m not sure why you are stressing about that so much and if you are going constant power you should be running a cap. 

In my my truck I run 4gauge the whole way and that system is 3000wrms constant (same knuconcept kit as above on both amps also) 

• Like 1