Bf Mk2 brakes

Dylan3399

• Member For: 4y 10m 7d

Hey guys I have a Bf xr6t Mk2, I’m looking at doing a brake upgrade with slotted rotors and decent pads. Does anyone know if anyone does slotted and vented rotors for the rear axle on the Mk 2 as they have the solid 303mm rotors from factory. I’ve heard I’ll need to change the calipers on the rear if I want vented rotors on the rear is this true?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Yeah, that's correct. The rears are only solid so to put in vented ones in the same width would be too small for a vented rotor, so you'll need to replace the rear calipers/pads to do it.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

If you grab Territory rear calipers you can fit 328mm vented rotors, which is what lots of people do.

I did this on my FG. You have to trim the backing plate a little to clear the caliper (and touch it up with paint to stop it rusting where you cut). Is easier to make the Territory brake lines fit rather than using the Falcon ones, but it is possible.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d
1 hour ago, Dylan3399 said:

Hey guys I have a Bf xr6t Mk2, I’m looking at doing a brake upgrade with slotted rotors and decent pads. Does anyone know if anyone does slotted and vented rotors for the rear axle on the Mk 2 as they have the solid 303mm rotors from factory. I’ve heard I’ll need to change the calipers on the rear if I want vented rotors on the rear is this true?

You are best spending the extra cash on the front 

Put DBA  T2 on the rear with QFM HPX pads 

DBA T3 on the front with HPX or if you drive hard A1RM pads 

This is a good setup that won't break the bank 

• Like 1

• Member For: 4y 10m 7d
3 hours ago, k31th said:

Yeah, that's correct. The rears are only solid so to put in vented ones in the same width would be too small for a vented rotor, so you'll need to replace the rear calipers/pads to do it.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Thanks appreciate it

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 8m 10d

I upgraded my Fg rear brakes to Territory over easter. Using T3 discs, QFM pads front and back and braided lines all around. It has made a very noticeable difference.

Pulls up about 15 metres shorter from a 100ks, but very noticeable at normal town driving. People say " spend the money on the front" as it does more work. But before you do take a look at the rear set up. Smaller disc, not vented, not grooved, far smaller pads and calipers. Yes does less work and was designed to do less. Upgrade the front and leave the factory rear and you will be putting more strain on the already undersize rears. When the front discs need replacing I will be putting T3 on the front.

• Gold Donating Members

I didn't take a pic unfortunately but it was a few centimetres from memory.

I was a bit unsure what to do beforehand, but once you remove the old caliper and got to test fit the new one, it will be obvious what needs trimming and by how much.

Then it's just trial and test. You need to watch what you are doing so you don't hit something else with the angle grinder. I only had a 5" grinder - something smaller would probably be easier.

• 4 months later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

Hey all, keen to bring this thread back up again lol

Been looking into the 328mm rotor upgrade on the rear of my FG for some time now. I've bought T2 rear rotors already, and the rig came with T2 rotors on the front already - bargain!
Bought some brake pads before looking into the rotors, so I have DBA performance XP for the front, and I need to get the correct rear pads as the ones I bought are for stock rears. Looking into this set for the rears, seem like they'll do the job just fine.

I'm gonna buy some territory rear calipers - seen some 2nd hand ones on ebay for relatively cheap, was around $150 for both left and right.

While I'm there I'll probably end up get braided lines all round seeing as I'll need to bleed the brakes after changing the rear.

Here's my questions:

I'm not sure what braided lines kits to look for, here's a kit I found but I don't know if its the right one or not - if anyone can confirm that would be amazing!

Do the rear calipers have shims for the pads like the front? by the looks of it the calipers I want to buy don't have them in the pictures nor are they mentioned, and some my very basic searching on the web hasn't come up with rear shims.

• Gold Donating Members

I have been running almost your exact combo for about a year on my FG - those pads all round, T2 rotors on the front and Territory rears (I think I might just have put RDAs on for rear rotors - can't quite remember as they were left over from another car).

I'm very happy with those pads - reasonably low dust and good stopping. Seem to take a decent amount of abuse through the twisties. As a comparison, I've found them much better than the QFM HPX I was using on my BA.

That brake hose kit is the correct one - I confirmed that with Safebrake a few weeks ago when I was shopping.

I ended up giving Matt at Race Brakes Sydney a call. He will assemble a kit himself for you using Goodridge lines. Was slightly over $300 delivered. Went with those thinking they might be better quality and RBS have always been very helpful. He will give you a good price on the pads too.

Haven't fitted the lines yet - hoping to in the next couple of weeks. I might remove my calipers and paint them black too, while I've got the system open.

Not sure about the shims - can't remember and don't have the cat in front of me. Matt would know if you are ringing him.

Stopping power aside, the bigger rears look way better with the bigger rotor and caliper. Trimming the backing plate was a breeze - just touch it up with some paint to prevent corrosion.

• Like 1