Low mount Steam Pipe manifold vs original?

ken666

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 3m 18d

Hey Guys

I'm after some data on how much power/torque difference there is between the standard exhaust manifold, and an aftermarket steam pipe low mount tube manifold?

I would like to keep my wastegate internal for the time being as I have only recently built a new GTX3584 with a hand ported turbine housing that should make the power I'm chasing quite comfortably.

However as I have always modified and improved the volumetric efficiency of N/A engines, I'm not familiar with the actual performance gains with such components changed on turbo engines?

They are quite significant on N/A, but I'm not so confident that they are necessary to make more power, as turning up the boost just 1psi IMO would match or beat the gains from fitting $1000 worth of manifold?

The money could be spent somewhere else that will improve reliability (over engineering the strength/quality required for the planned output, leaving headroom for next time you want an increase!).

But, as I am happy to admit. I have very little knowledge on improving forced engine efficiency, except for pushing more air/fuel in!

They are a very different animal to N/A, so help me learn.

Cheers Ken      

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d

It makes it sound better.
It makes you wallet lighter.

It will cook the paint on your bonnet. Don't unless you really want to. Or do if you a silly bugger.

• Donating Members

Awesome!

That's pretty much the conclusion I had.

All I have done to the manifold previously, was give it a touch up with the die grinder to match port  and clean up the contours by blending them back a little more up the runner..

I have often found that factory designed exhaust manifolds (that are not compromised by limited space under the hood) are very underrated.

And can often be replaced by aftermarket products that is inferior in design and engineering.

Cheers Ken

Edited by ken666

• Donating Members

I gave up on the fibreglass crap! Now I am using this aluminium and black sticky sheets.

So far they are surviving

Yeah I don't think I'll bother.

I was comfortably running 612hp at the wheels with the mildly modified  GT3582 @21psi, before I fitted a GTX3584 (with some customised modifications) that I built for it recently.

And I will have to say "it Freaking flew" even with just a "safe" base tune (17psi) to suit new injectors I fitted along with the new turbo, it was noticeably quicker.

And the boost never spiked or lagged throughout the whole rpm.

So I just can't warrant changing to an external gate just yet?

Hopefully it tunes safely on 98 to 22psi, that should keep me amused for quite some time😋