HOTXR6T

drop-in fuel pump assembly - any good?

Has any one here fitted one of theses fuel assemblies. ( I don't care what to) I was going to fit the Walbro GS341 kit ( 255ltr/hr )  But if this is any good I would pay the extra.

Comes with the Walbro pump and they claim fixes surging. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WALBRO-GSS341-255LPH-FUEL-PUMP-ASSEMBLY-FORD-FALCON-FG-FGX-XR6-TURBO-XR8-FPV-F6/292224073229

I got one for my BA XR6T (2004) and it had to be modified by the tuner to work at all for his requirements to tune the car. Unfortunately, the modification itself I have no details of as it appears to be a trade secret. An in-tank module can never guarantee to fix all "surge" issues, but can definitely help if the swirl pot itself is larger. Realistically, a surge tank is a better solution, but costs more for the higher capability to resolve surge and provide higher pumping abilities.

1 hour ago, HOTXR6T said:

Has any one here fitted one of theses fuel assemblies. ( I don't care what to) I was going to fit the Walbro GS341 kit ( 255ltr/hr )  But if this is any good I would pay the extra.

Comes with the Walbro pump and they claim fixes surging. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WALBRO-GSS341-255LPH-FUEL-PUMP-ASSEMBLY-FORD-FALCON-FG-FGX-XR6-TURBO-XR8-FPV-F6/292224073229

My 460 in a pod from that seller was a straight drop in with all the internals modified. My tuner stripped the pump and module and check before it was installed. 

What fuel and power are you going for?

I only want to use 98 and sometimes BP Ultimate. 320 rwkw is about all I want. I know a surge tank is a better option for people looking for more rwkw. I just didn't  want to buy this if its no better than just the walbro pump, which is half the price.

Just upgrade the intank pump. I ran a proflow 340 lph pump intank and made 320 rwkw with no issues at all. Just don't get too low on fuel. You should be fine if you don't drive like a madman.

I was just reading a thread on one of the better fb groups about someone wanting to fit a bigger pump, there are some comments that you need the car tuned because of higher fuel rail pressure, what do the experts here think ?

You would possibly need an aftermarket fuel pressure reg because the stock one doesn't always cope with the extra pressure. I'm not sure about a "tune" but as long as you're not raising the boost pressure I can't see how it would hurt.

But if you get it tuned with a higher base fuel pressure, please don't think you can drop your fuel pressure back to stock base and think the car will be fine. We've already had someone do that..

You need to drill out the small return hole in the return venturi that pops into the bottom of the mra to prevent excess fuel pressure. 

Any of the half decent pre assembled 460lt/hr mra's should have the bigger hole already. 

Stock/ aftermarket non modified 2mm. More like 1.2mm.  Not mine. Image courtesy of Ford Forum

a 4mm return hole will flow nearly 4 times the amount of fuel than a 2mm hole.

Walbro%20GSS341%20Fuel%20pump%20assembly

Edited by arronm