Unregistered FG XR6T Advice

GraemeXR

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 5m 4d

Hi guys am looking for some advice I have searched here for a few days to find some info relating to my issue but most info seems to be relating to modified cars with defect notices not that are unregistered.

Anyway I have an unregistered 2012 FG XR6T which I consider to be in pretty smick condition that is living in the shed the car has only 58,000km on it.

These are the mods that have been done to it,

Custom ecu and zf tune
Re-gapped spark plugs
Cooler thermostat
I.D 1000 injectors
11.8 pound actuator 
Intake pump

Nizpro cooler kit with piping

Nizpro full 4” stainless exhaust

Process West Street Air Box Kit

Turbosmart Kompact dual port 25mm bov

Earls stealth black braided turbo oil feed line

Other then the listed mods everything else on the car is standard.

Just after some ideaz as to the best/simplest/most cost effective way to have it able to be registered. This headache all started with a defect for the nizpro exhaust apparently protruding to far past the rear bumper and always being out of town working left no time to sort what needed to be done to correct the defect.

The first visit to be inspected was done by a guy who used a pair of tweezers, microscope and a toothbrush and the exhaust was apparently 98db he also said I had an aftermarket turbo “which is stock” intercooler and cold air intake which needed permits!

Due to work I had no time to fix these in the defect extension time so I took it to another inspection place where the guy wasn’t such a **** *** and he said he would pass everything cold air intake and intercooler as long as I put the stock exhaust on and brought it back. Anyway due to work and the nearest tuner 400km away it ended up being unregistered!

So do I remove the nizpro exhaust put a stock one on get it retuned and try my luck or will the only fix be returning everything to stock?

All and any idea’s are welcome .. 🤔

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

Depends how much you like the exhaust? see if there is a straight pipe section you can have remade to include an additional muffler.

if old mate inspection requested a stock exhaust, then put the stock one on - get it passed out, come home and swap the exhausts again.

you would only need the car re-tuned if your going to leave it setup like that, if your just swapping it and doing some normal driving there no need.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Don't ask @k31th, he just parks his in the shed and leaves it there :stirthepot:

3 hours ago, GraemeXR said:

he would pass everything cold air intake and intercooler as long as I put the stock exhaust on and brought it back.

So do I remove the nizpro exhaust put a stock one on get it retuned and try my luck or will the only fix be returning everything to stock?

Put a stock exhaust on, drive to old mate, get it cleared, get it registered then put the bigger exhaust back on and happy days.

You don't need a tune for an exhaust swap. The issues with exhaust, cat, intercooler piping, actuator etc appear when you try and floor it. Providing the tune suits the injectors, fuel type, cams, fuel pressure and a couple of more obscure things, you can change nearly everything and the car will still drive fine. You just can't floor it for the most part.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 5m 4d

Cheers guys I might go with the stock exhaust idea and take it in an see what happens an take it from there.

Will just have to find a stock exhaust from a wreckers or I spoke briefly with the owner of the shop that did the mods on my car an he said he had full stock systems laying around one probably being mine ha ha but he said they could fit one up they have and take it around the corner from their shop for the inspection for me just means a 400km drive to drop it off if I go that way.