Which Xr6T To Buy? (Merged Topic)

Z2TT

• Member For: 11y 10m 2d

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the XR6 Scene, I currently own a Modified 87 Toyota Soarer, Did by myself a 1jz conversion, lots of stuff, goes fast

but takes time to get going.

I'd always like the look of the BA and FG XR6 Turbos, just I completely know nothing about them, No idea what all the differences are

and what I should go for. I'd love a XR6T for a Second Car to sit alongside my Soarer.

Money isn't that much of an issue so I'd rather get whatever is nice. Are there many major improvements over the way the FG Drives to the BA/BF?

I take it the motors are pretty much the same or is the FG More refined and quicker to drive? Or is the motor/cams/turbo all the same from BA-FG?

From research I've done if I want an Auto, I should get something with the ZF 6 Speed.

Are the FPV models much better for the price extra you pay? or would you be better off just upgrading brakes on a normal XR6T.

I'd prefer to buy something that would have a good re-sale, so which models/years should I try to avoid?

Modding Wise I take it $3500 Worth of Parts could get me an Exhaust, Intercooler, Injector Upgrade and valve springs which are a must (Or is this only for the BA/BF Non FPV?)

and be good for about 400hp at the wheels?

What's best, a off the shelf tune, or to take it to a Dyno tuner to get a few hours on the dyno to make it run to suit the exact mods I have?

Cheers.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 2d

if you want 400hp at the wheels then FG xr6t with a zf

+

cooler and pipework

Venom cat section

injectors

maybe valve springs

fuel set up for e85 and 98

DO NOT GET AN OFF THE SHELF TUNE

• Like 2

• Member For: 11y 8m 18d

I am in the same boat here Not sure on a BA or BF I do know the BF has stronger rods and valve springs But im not after huge power just something nice I have been looking for a while and most BF's seems to go for a extra $5000 Are there any other major benifits of a BF?

• Special needs member.
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 22d

^ If you are looking at an auto the zf6 in the BF sh*ts all over the btr 4 speed in the BA.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Also BFs have an extra knock sensor and the exhaust cam is independently timed from intake from memory. Think that helped get the extra wasps (240kw to 245kw stock and 450Nm to 480Nm BA to BF)

If the car has over 75 thousand kms budget valve springs, they are very hit and miss.

Edited by -SteveR-

• Member For: 20y 7m 22d

I had the decision when I bought my Turbo back in 2008 whether to buy a run out BF F6 or an FG XR6T. Glad I bought the FG as I believe it's quite a bit more refined, has a smaller smaller turbo which is very responsive, redesigned exhaust manifold and intake, better fuel economy, higher centre console and gear shifter, better traction control program, just to name a few things.

Benny.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 9d

I am in the same boat here Not sure on a BA or BF I do know the BF has stronger rods and valve springs But im not after huge power just something nice I have been looking for a while and most BF's seems to go for a extra $5000 Are there any other major benifits of a BF?

From what we gather on here 06/06 is the point where BF got the strong rods so you'd want to be going for BFII to be on the safe side. BFII over BA has what was mentioned above and as I just mentioned stronger motor. It also had better valve springs (not sure if they're as strong as fg though). Also both manual and auto gearboxs in the BFII were much stronger and more capable of handling bigger power.

As for the OP if the lag of your soarer was a worry than you'd prefer the FG over any B series because the smaller turbo! Lag is virtually non-existent for a turbo car, it start pulling straight away. FG also because BA will go boom (either engine or gearbox) eventually once you put a lot of power into it. FG is a much better base to start modding and can easily push 300rwkw for under $5000 with custom tuning

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 3d

^^BA mk II have the same 6 speed manual gearbox as the BF II albeit the motor is still weaker than a BF mk II.

If you want to mod your car you need to ask yourself what kind of figures you want. The BF mk II will have less down low (an E85 tune fixes this a little) because of the bigger turbo but the turbo will take you into the high 300s. The FG is the opposite. Quicker spool but if you are after more than mid 300s at the treads you will need to replace the turbo.

Also I noticed when taking an FG for a test drive the difference in front end suspension ride is night and day with the B series.

• Member For: 11y 5m 20d

Honestly go the BA there the best mines got 330rwkw 1200 nm toque build by cv performance all the goodies but un open engine and I'll tell you they are awesome and very reliable if done correct the only other upgrade I've done is the box conversion to C4 with 3000 stall very strong and fun the things a rocket a very reliable throughout go the BA.