Which Xr6T To Buy? (Merged Topic)

Z2TT

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 12y 3m 16d

If you are in Perth, there are a few good tuners to be had. The stock dump pipe on the BF and The FG is fine for 300+ KW at the tyres. The cat is the biggest issue for both cars. The stock FG mufflers are good - single 3 inch - and seem to work well. Spolit for choice for intercoolers for both cars.

Everyone say the FG turbo spools up quicker - but it is damn hard to notice IF your tuner has the larger BF unit working well - and lets face it.... on rolling starts there is not a lot in it. The Fg is certainly more refined in terms of exhauist manifold/pipe layout etc.

The FG is a more modern cabin as well. The only issue seems to be a bit of hit /miss with valve springs - the rest is pretty good. I have a BF and really happy with it. I'd take the FG however.

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 27d

G'day gurus,

I'm currently looking to replace my 80 series Landcruiser DD/tow rig, as I do far more Daily driving than towing and I want something a bit more... me.

I notice a fair bit of chatter regarding the weakness of the BA box, should I be steering clear of modified examples given the load I'm going to put it under?

I'm towing my mx5 with trailer, so about 1500kgs. All of my previous cars bar the cruiser have been boosted, but I'm thinking I should go stock. Only going BA as they are at the right price ATM, FG would be awesome, but then id have less money to race with.

Thoughts?

Scotty

• Member For: 20y 7m 23d

I'm guessing you are referring to the 4 speed BTR. They are not a strong box in standard form and were only rated at 450nm stock. Any sort of power/torque increase will usually result in eventual failure. They can be rebuilt to be much stronger though, installing a trans cooler would be advised.

The manual T5 isn't much better either.

Benny.

• Member For: 11y 9m 24d

go the fg fullstop. I had the same decision when I bought mine.. black 6speed manual and I cant regret a thing. the ba/f's arent as responsive as the fg's I think. much better full economy, push out more power with mods and are just a much nicer car :)

take them for a test drive(and buy a manual!!!) you'll have so much fun

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 5m 4d

Hi guys and gals,

So I've finally saved up enough cash to buy a used FG XR6T, currently looking for something around 25k and under 80km's. To be honest, I've been a Expensive Daewoo guy my whole life, had a VL Turbo for my first and currently own a VE SV6 so I know nothing of Fords which is the reason why I'm here. I've also been debating with myself whether to get a VE SS or a XR6T and finally decided to get the XR6T. So here are my following questions:

Are all the auto 6 speed FG XR6T's ZF's?

Will the ZF hold revs?

Buying used FG, anything in particular I should be looking for?

How does the ZF compare to the VE 6 speed auto?

Please feel free to give advice and comments.

• Member For: 19y 4m 8d

Don't get a VE, I've had a worked VX SS,a stock VY Calais LS1, VZ SSZ ute & my stock FG XR6T sh*ts all over them all!

Three simple words is all you need to no. Smooth! Quick & Comfy!

Try find something with low k's & has been obviously looked after, if its been factory optioned then even better.

Mine is Aug 2011 MK1 non driven demo from with only 97kms on it, luxury pack consisting of leather, 19s, dual climate & premium audio. $8000 cheaper than brand new!

The ZF's are into the 10s now so I wouldn't be stressing about them either!

Edited by LAZY6