FG Wastegete Solenoid Problem

dean408

• Member For: 6y 10m 22d

Hi guys hopefully someone can help me.

I have an FG 50th Anniversary Turbo with 150000Km on it. Lately it has only been getting a maximum of 6psi boost. The check engine light is not on. I checked for boost leaks as it has aftermarket intercooler piping and turbo side intake fitted. There was only a very slight leak from the throttle body which I fixed. 

I put a scan tool on it and got P0243 Wastegate Solenoid Malfunction possible open circuit. I replace the solenoid because I figured for $40 it wasn't worth stuffing around with it. It hasn't changed the boost.

I bypassed the solenoid and got the same boost reading running straight from the compressor to the actuator. Thinking the wastegate may be stuck open I blocked the hose from the compressor housing and went for a careful drive. 10psi of boost. 

Is there a way of checking the solenoid is operating? The solenoid is open allowing air to pass through while on the bench. Is this how they are supposed to be? BTW the new solenoid is a genuine Ford part.

The engine was out of the car recently and I replaced valve springs, oil pump gears and timing chain and guides. I have checked that everything has been plugged back in but I may have missed something.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. It has gone from 12.8 1/4 mile to 13.7. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

if the wastegate is stuck open, you won't ever get to 10psi in any circumstance, so that's not the problem.

a brand new solenoid from ford won't be the problem, either.

if the engine was out, it's likely a wiring issue to the solenoid or the associated boost pressure sensor.

Thanks for your reply. I am a mechanic by trade but I left the trade in 1993 so this is all a bit new to me. I was thinking wiring as well. Is there some sort of test procedure I can do to check the solenoid and the boost pressure sensor? I'm thinking the solenoid would be powered to keep it closed until the required boost pressure was reached. I could also be completely wrong.

I've had a good look around the engine bay and can't see anything unplugged. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

as far as I know, the solenoid stays closed (e.g. no air pressure is supplied to the wastegate) until voltage is applied which opens it to supply a certain amount of air pressure dependant upon the voltage.

To check them, have a look at the wiring diagrams and confirm the voltage to both the BPS and solenoid during operation.

Talk about checking the obvious first. I noticed the hose from the solenoid to the actuator didn't look right. As soon as I touched it the hose fell off. I have had some trouble getting the clamp to hold but thought I had it. Obviously not. Replaced both hoses and now get 11 psi. 

Even us old blokes can learn stuff.