How to remove zf 6 speed

Joel0201

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d
Ouch, that's not good mate.

Have you thought about what you're going to do? I've nearly convinced myself to go manual haha

Don’t have the funds, kinda like the auto anyway except for the obvious.

Sheeeeeeeeet mate that’s a munted shaft !

hummmm I wasn’t sure the Quick Jacks would get it high enough but I knew the ZF was tall, Put some of the Genuine Quick Jack chock blocks on to gain more lift ?

Id be interested to see if that was a Genuine Nizzy billet shaft but it’s definitely no good now lol, normally they just clean sheer not fragment like what you’ve got there 

I’m just special I suppose. Good point on the quickjacks they come with 8 rubber blocks and u can double them up for height, might just get me there.

If it’s not genuine then we have different problems. Interesting they normally clean break not fragment, again makes me extra lucky.. I’m thinking the torque converter must be gone too because there was plenty of horrible sounds that the input shaft wouldn’t be making.

• 2 months later...
  • Donating Members

6r80 conversion is done, they reckon it’s about twice as big as the zf and it’s all one size, it doesn’t step down like the original zf does. Apparently an extra gear behind the shaft too (inside planetary or something, dunno talkin out my arse now). They basically lined up the 6r80 and the original zf and make it all fit together so it’s 6r80 from about half way up the gearbox.

A couple of the eclutches were gone as well which was the cause of metal in the pan and the exedy extra clutches are apparently originally designed for the 6r80 anyway even though they work in the zf. A few of them 4,5,6? eclutches were replaced due to wear.

Been chipping away on reinstalling the box over the last couple of days, few hrs here and there each day, a sick child and a death in the family (not related thankfully) have slowed me down a bit. But with help from my wife it’s bolted up to the bell housing and just still have to do the torque converter, tailshaft and fluids.

I do need one bit of advice though, I have one bolt I can’t find a home for, the heads about 13mm like the smaller bell housing bolts but it’s much longer. But I can’t figure out where it goes and since it’s been about 2 months since I took her out my memory is completely shot. I have the workshop manuals but can’t put a finger on where this one goes.

32eaf0e916fd004a91bf8f5e82c8178f.jpg

Bottom one

ca193e68e45c11812dc61df376c8a750.jpg
e22c120c8675926fd17653ee5ff39039.jpg
All these guys are accounted for (12 though they don’t have 13 arrows, is the misprint a missing arrow or 13 not 12??, still can’t see a place for this guy on the engine side of the bell housing).

b6e336658929fa90952b4b10f7f3143e.jpg
eb50a8b88f246d9e5f6a7f645d8aa790.jpg
2a8f0c8e323f97f6ecb73665349b3cc3.jpg
31884f1f6768465ee4ec0e16ea4d0c4c.jpg

Also took the opportunity to install a bigger engine oil cooler for the race track, literally not a mm left for a bigger cooler, fitted the biggest I could. Derale oil cooler racing line.
3001083d7ad0ee5464adb3e3e181fb93.jpg
c55d69a59ae9c1f0dc79d741765c4109.jpg

• Like 2

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

That long bolt with the blind base looks like one of the x2 starter motor bolts

had a look on a ZF turbo just then and all 13mm head bottom bell housing bolts are same lengths x6 

all top 17mm big head bolts are same length x6 

Hope that helps

• Donating Members

Hey mate thanks for the reply, the two starter motor bolts were exactly the same and I’ve already got that in. Everything’s done up and torqued to spec and I still can find a home for this bolt. Really wish I knew of the glad bag with labels trick when taking this out. Just had to stop for dinner when the trans oil hit 50 degrees during the fill procedure but hopefully finish it off tonight and be able to drive to work tomorrow.

Wheels turn though so it’s looking good

• Donating Members

Haha nope, it’ll live on my workbench till the Internet can figure out where it goes.

Test drive tonight felt great, really happy no harsh shifts pretty smooth so hopefully it’s all done successfully, so long as there’s no pools of trans oil on the floor of the garage overnight it should be all good lol

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members

Hey mate not much to report really hasnt fallen out and hasnt broken even though ive given it a regular floggin. Shifts are good, it didnt need to relearn even with some of the extra clutches replaced which is good because it tool about 10,000 kms to originally wear in.

Real test will be wakefield park next year in the cooler weather. Keep seeing more and more ppl talking about the 6r80 conversion on facebook too so its definitely becoming the new go to. And given mustangs in the states are apparently doing 8 second quarters on stock boxes you can see why.

• Like 1