How to remove zf 6 speed

Joel0201

• Member For: 5y 12d

I had the plastic pan on mine (bf) and it was fine, I didn’t use a trans jack I used a workshop trolley with wood across it and it was fine. 

The plastic all over pan has a drain plug on the pan but as I understand there one use only, considering the whole pan is $90 it’s cheap insurance considering the price of the box. 

If your doing this on ramps may be tricky unless you have a really low trans jack. 

Your gonna need the extensions ahhahahha

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Ok thanks guys I’ve got a bit of clearance under my quickjacks, it gets it up to 477mm. I’ve got a steel pan but it doesn’t have a drain plug, I’ve ordered a new one and I’ll put this one in the territory, good time for a zf service now anyway.

I’ve got some thick bench off cuts I was thinking of mounting to my jack but if regular bits of wood have been ok then I might just rest the off cut on the jack and ratchet strap it all. I’ve already checked I can get the jack under easily.

• Donating Members
You should be able to lower it without damaging if you protect with blocks of wood.

Depends which pan you have as to whether you have a drain plug it not, so may need to drop the pan. I bought an aftermarket steel pan with a drain plug when I serviced my ZF to make flushing/servicing quicker and less messy in future.
How do u make sure it doesn’t slide off the jack or the blocks of wood? At 84 kgs it’s heavy, I’ve seen YouTube videos of people using ratchet straps around it but yeah it’s just got me thinking it is really well balanced or yeah how with where it’s supported by the jack and some wood does that stop it sliding or toppling off?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

When I removed the trans in my previous car, I just had a mate under there helping to balance it and went slow. A BTR is only 30kg though.

When I removed the rear suspension I had a couple of furniture dollies (just home made ones using thick timber and strong castor wheels) in place so that when I lowered it on the jack it landed on the dollies to balance it and I could then roll it out from under the car.

I'm in Canberra too if you need an extra pair of hands at the critical moment!

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Well that was ducking (thanks autocomplete) hard work. Not actually the transmission removal but other stupid sh*t! Started well when in the first step of removing starter motor I broke a brand new shifting spanner on the pita top bolt. Getting to the rear nuts in the tailshaft and one of the cross member support bolts behind my huge 4 inch exhaust were all hell, even attempts to remove parts of the exhaust and failed.

The transmission itself the removal was fine, it is mega tall though, she won’t be coming out from under the car, even with my quickjacks, not unless I can slide it on the ground or something, there might be a tiny bit more I can raise the car but it won’t be on it’s locking bars. Hopefully repairs are possible under the car.

So I’m no mechanic but the flex plate looks fine and the input shaft does not. Will see what my options are to get going again.

616c26d5cf1471957c655ec970d75c68.jpg

cb0319d3dc9b4e5fd7e1540332770c25.jpg

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Sheeeeeeeeet mate that’s a munted shaft !

hummmm I wasn’t sure the Quick Jacks would get it high enough but I knew the ZF was tall, Put some of the Genuine Quick Jack chock blocks on to gain more lift ?

Id be interested to see if that was a Genuine Nizzy billet shaft but it’s definitely no good now lol, normally they just clean sheer not fragment like what you’ve got there