How to remove zf 6 speed

Joel0201

• Member For: 8y 5m 20d

I'm not sure, but seeing as the 6r80 is in bigger, heavier vehicles, the input shaft is thicker and stronger. I don't understand what needs to be machined to fit, but there's lots of info on the web you might find something?

An engineering place may be able to machine whatever needs to be done if you take the parts and explain what needs to be done?

Why not look at doing manual?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Ok thanks I’ll see what I can find or if anyone else in the know chimes in. Might see if any of the local transmission places sound like they know what they’re doing.

Haven’t ever considered a manual tbh, given I track it it’s not crazy to consider due to temps but I do love the auto and it is quicker probably everywhere but maybe the track? Also nfi on costs too. I have recently got temps under control with a huge oil cooler on the transmission.

I might take some time off work later in the week, get the zf out and see what bits falls out, might make some calls tomorrow too

• Member For: 8y 5m 20d

I'm in the same boat, I've got the zf albeit a non turbo version, and it's handling the power well but is due to be rebuilt/replaced. No idea how much power I've got but it's tuned to 22psi.

ZF built with 6r80 parts etc I was quoted nearly $10,000. To do a conversion to a th400 is about the same but will handle more power, no good for track work I'd say though. Manual conversion with decent clutch and flywheel would be $5000-$6000

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Those pro works one looks like good value, unless they’re sh*t?

Didn’t realize a manual conversion was that much cheaper than all out on the auto. Still I might be dreaming but I’d like to get going again for a lot less than 5-6k.

Ahh cars hey, u think they’re going good then bang lol and never at a good time.

I’ll see what a 6r80 shaft and the modifications to have it work with the 6hp26 cost and the various places and ways to make that happen from diy some of it to handing it to someone. I also might see what my tuna says, I’m in Canberra and he’s in Sydney.

• Donating Members

Cheers Keith I hope so too!

Just watched this video

he uses a mega long extension to get to those top bolts. Do you need to drop the pan or just open the filler hole, also he talks about the steel pan being thrown away after lowering it, is it safe supporting and lowering it from the pan with a jack and what I guess some blocks of wood?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

You should be able to lower it without damaging if you protect with blocks of wood.

Depends which pan you have as to whether you have a drain plug it not, so may need to drop the pan. I bought an aftermarket steel pan with a drain plug when I serviced my ZF to make flushing/servicing quicker and less messy in future.

• Like 1