Overboosting?

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 5d

As some may know ive had miss fireing issues with my ba xr6t stock tune etc. I fixed that with new spark plugs and coils. 

However I still have a problem that feels kinda like coils but im almost certain its not as for 1.. I swaped with a known good set and it was same. And 2 car still revs up to 4-5000rpm easy and smoothly when giveing it some.

What issue I have is when giveing it allot like a really hard take off I get to 100kph quick but it feels like ot surges slightly when its up to aboit 90kph and accelwrating..and I look accross and I see 7-8 psi on the boost guage when it does this... its normally 5-6.

So does that sound like its boost cutting? Ive also swapped fuel pumps and same issue.

I have had overboost problems in past where it has hit 11psi and shut power amd I had to pull over and restart it....But this is a bit different as it still drivea fine after it does it..im thinking actuator has a slight leak? Someone said to me valve springs...but it only stock.. 

To me it feels like traction controls kicking in but theres no.loght on dash when it does

Edited by jas98

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

even stock tune can cause valve springs to go soft over time, especially if it's making more than stock boost quite a lot...

but I doubt it's boost cut at 7-8psi, as you need 10 or more for boost cut, I think.

it does sound like the actuator is leaking, though. the injectors may not be keeping up with 8psi.

Thanks. I was thinking valve springs for a bit. It does have 332 000ks lol

Whats best way to test actuator as im haveing a mined blank haha I trated it once before when installing a new on (stock one) can I used vacume presaure as I donhave a vacume tester.

The actuator in it is about 5 year old and stick garrot one 

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 3y 1m 3d

Hi jas how did you end up fixing this problem because I have the same problem.

I have had overboost problems in past where it has hit 11psi and shut power amd I had to pull over and restart it....But this is a bit different as it still drivea fine after it does it..im thinking actuator has a slight leak? Someone said to me valve springs...but it only stock.. 

• 2 months later...

Original issue similar to yours was a combination of 2 things at time ...stuffed actuator and a stuffed cat as the cat was half blown through.