Tyre Selection help please

Joe2601

• Member For: 4y 11m 18d

Hi

advice on getting some new tyres 

Guards rolled and I have room to move on my 2009 Falcon FG XR6

Currently the 20 inch rims have 225/35 R20 on them (bought from friend)  and before I go buy tyres I am thinking I want to go wider in the back

if so what size would I get 

Do I go same all round or can I go wider in rear?

Im happy to stay with the 225/35R20 on the front but do I stay with the same /35 prfile on rear if I go wider

so if I go 255 rear do I need to compensate with the profile?

offset if ET 36 on originals 17's and ET 36 on new rims

Edited by Joe2601

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 20d

I have 20's on my BF ute.

Fronts are 8.5 +20. I have recently put on Michelin 265 30 Pilot Sports. Great tyres, no dramas. Guards untouched. Tight fit but I have Shockworks coilovers so it's just a matter of adjusting the height to get clearance for turning.

Rears are 10 +25. Running Nitto 295 35 r20. Guard work needed for these as I needed 8mm spacers to clear the Brembos. Without the spaces you probably wouldn't need to touch the guards but it would be a tight fit.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 7m 13d
17 minutes ago, Joe2601 said:

Im happy to stay with the 225/35R20 on the front but do I stay with the same /35 prfile on rear if I go wider

so if I go 255 rear do I need to compensate with the profile?

offset if ET 36 on originals 17's and ET 36 on new rims

How wide are the rear rims? 

Ok so I read somewhere I can go 245/35 R20 on the front if I put on a 5mm spacer. If I go 255 on the back would I stick with 35 profile or something else?

"On the front it's the upper control arm that is the worry with 20" rims on a FG with a 35 offset. A few have done it but have had to go a 235 tyre. Unless you fit a 5mm spacer then you can go a 245. And don't forget if you want it to turn in, you will want some neg camber.

On the rear you can go a 275 on a 9 1/2" rim with a 38 offset no worries. That will sit right with the guards. And yeah there is no lip so all good."

Edited by Joe2601

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 7m 13d

from front to back there will be about 3mm difference in height, so you would want to stay at a 35 profile. Remember the profile is the % of tyre width so that's where the extra height comes from.

if you go a 255/30 you will have a 10mm smaller side wall in the rear compared to the front and the rolling diameter will be about 20mm less also