1st Gear Driveline Noise

sd1800

• Member For: 13y 2m 16d

Hi Guys, hoping you can help me diagnose a noise coming from my driveline that has been getting progressively more noticeable over the last 3 months or so. I have included a video below. Listen for the wobble-board type sound when accelerating in 1st gear between about 1000-2000rpm.

It only really does it when accelerating away from low speed or a standstill, and you can't replicate the noise in any other scenario outside of that. In the video below, I've kept the clutch fully engaged the whole time to demonstrate that it isn't a noise that occurs when the clutch is being slipped from a standstill. And it sounds like it's originating from the driveline (not the engine bay).

I'm leaning towards the doughnut or centre bearing, but a quick visual inspection under the car showed they appeared to be OK (but I'm not 100% what I'm looking for either!). Keen to hear your thoughts before I take it to a shop!

Edited by k31th
fixed video

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

only when it's on slow speed... hmmm engine mounts? is the engine moving around a lot when you rev it when it's sitting still?

the sound itself sounds like the turbocharger exhaust vanes hitting the inside of the exhaust housing, but that would be happening at any speed.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 26d
1 hour ago, k31th said:

the sound itself sounds like the turbocharger exhaust vanes hitting the inside of the exhaust housing, but that would be happening at any speed.

Could still be that maybe until a little bit of boost built up?  Either way, doesn't sound so great. I'd get it on a hoist sooner than later

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 26d

it could be that the gear stick is loose under the boot cover. Check the bolts that hold the gear lever to the shifter.

Lever removed:

iUuNxn8.jpg 

I changed my gear lever from the stock one to a Hurst lever and I get to hear all the wonderful noises that the manual gearbox makes.

Hurst lever installed

ZDWcHld.jpg 

1qJm0hw.jpg 

• Member For: 13y 2m 16d

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Interesting about the noise coming from the turbo. I tend to think it won't be it as I can't get it to replicate the noise under any other low / mid / high boost scenario in any other gear or neutral.

I checked engine mounts the other day by loading it up in gear with the handbrake on and bonnet up. Very minimal movement so it won't be that. Also interestingly is the noise doesn't occur when I did this, so leads me to have think it's a driveshaft rotation-under-load issue rather than clutch/flywheel. Also checked the gear stick mounting and it's totally A-OK. Thanks for that suggestion though!

I can see I've got a small split on my centre diff bush. Will be replacing that soon with super pro. Maybe that's causing it, or is a flow on effect (unusual angle on the centre bearing when taking off due to tailshaft dropping down due to shagged centre bush?)

Speaking of centre bearing, for years now I have read very conflicting stories about whether FG MK2 bearings are replaceable, or if the tailshaft is just one single unit. Is there a definitive thread on this subject?