FG MK II XR6 - What OBD2 Scanner?

cm.

• Member For: 5y 6m 30d

Hi All,

Just want to get an idea on what OBD II scanner to get for my FG MK II XR6 with the ZF.

I'll be serving my transmission soon and will need to get temp readings from the tranny. I have bought an IR gun but want to cross-check with the internal sensor (who knows how accurate it is).

I currently have a iphone and laptop so need a OBD2 scanners that will work with them. I have looked at the cheap ones on ebay but not sure of the quality and if there is something more recommended for the FG Falcons - especially regarding the 6 speed ZF. 

Also want to know what software is recommended. I've seen Torque mentioned a lot, but not iphone compatible? Any other alternatives?

Can the bluetooth scanners connect to laptops? 

Any information appreciated. Looking for as cheap as possible that does the job. 

Cheers,

• Member For: 5y 6m 30d

Thanks - any particular ELM327 unit in mind? From my reading it seems like the unit will also need to support MS-CAN? Thanks - any particular ELM327 unit in mind? From my reading it seems like the unit will also need to support MS-CAN? 

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 26d

There are a whole bunch of cheap ELM327 units on the market and on Ebay. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

none of those cheap ones turn off when the car turns off. Some state that they do and actually don't

There are quite a few members on this forum that have the cheap ones and swear by them.

I bought the OBDLink MX back in the day when they were $200 clams. Still working till this day.

Just keep in mind that if your car is tuned and your tuners uses an Xcal 4 and locks the tune, you won't be able to use Forscan.

you will be able to use the Torque app on your "android" phone.

I am not sure about the Torque app support on iPhone.