Fg Door Jamb deep rust

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 18d

So I'm a little bit devastated to have uncover this to say the least and at the worst possible time.

Was cleaning the Interior for the first time this year and noticed the paint bubbles and rust bleeding through the sill. A couple minutes with angry pliers uncovers a rusty cavern about 5mm deep but it would easily double in size and get deeper if I kept picking at it. Also rust patches along the door seam under the door rubber.

It's been a few warm dry days since opening it up but there's still moisture in the hole and I'm too scared to keep digging. Is a professional autopsy and reconstructive surgery my only real option.

77362dc4a8865af6e06ffb93610675a2.jpga82c64dc448601da0a552c0d6e6f6326.jpg6c6ff63426f3771d878a5f0f1aa9145e.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

yeah, looks like you'll have to sand it back, cut it out, put in a new piece of metal with the right shape and then prepare/prime and re-paint.

Can't say I wasn't expecting to hear that but I was really hoping for otherwise. The drivers side is perfect, just the passenger side. The door seems to be fine aswell, just the sill.

Does anyone know how the structure is manufactured under there? Maybe it's been scooping water from under the car into a crevice or something?
Maybe water was getting in behind the door seal and funnelling to the bottom, seaping between the sheets of steel.

I'll try stick my head around this weekend and get a closer look at everything.

I'll just make a mess trying to patch it myself and it's my only mode of transport so I think I'll need to see a pro.

• 9 months later...

Update.

I eventually got the rust looked at and my god was it far worse than expected. And the believed culprit... This grommet that wasn't plugged in, most likely from yanking the wiring 4yrs ago while pulling the indicators out.
Was getting welded back up today and should be getting painted next week. He took a heap of photos so I'll post some when I get em. e30d99a5878da52b5274384d09f00790.jpg

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 11d
On 29/01/2020 at 4:18 PM, bupalooga said:

Update.

I eventually got the rust looked at and my god was it far worse than expected. And the believed culprit... This grommet that wasn't plugged in, most likely from yanking the wiring 4yrs ago while pulling the indicators out.
Was getting welded back up today and should be getting painted next week. He took a heap of photos so I'll post some when I get em. e30d99a5878da52b5274384d09f00790.jpg

Do you have those extra pics? 

Have identical problem in my 2010 ute. My passenger-side pillar was FULL of water. I pushed my finger through the vertical face of the pillar (easily) when discovering bubbles; I reckon 3-500mls of water fell out.

Everyone's been scratching their heads. Doesn't appear to be anywhere water can get in.

Now I know there is, so thanks. The most promising idea so far has been a/c leak/condensation through firewall, which I'm pretty sure isn't physically possible. Am planning an a/c leak test just to be sure anyway..

Does water from exterior flow straight over that grommet from windscreen/whatever? Or across?

Wouldn't take a big leak to fill up like that over time. But a waterfall flowing straight into the top of the grommet every time it rains...

Was there any indication of deeper structural damage ie chassis or firewall?

Typical Ford. The cost of a cable tie to secure the cable might've saved some stress and $$ on repairs..

What was the repair cost, if you don't mind saying..?

Thanks for any help. Was starting to think I was gonna have to sell it for whatever I could get just to be rid of it.

Ill Chase the pics up off the guy, I think he should be back in town.

The A/C typically drips onto the carpet from the center when its drain is blocked, not near the door sills.

Directly above the grommet (just out of photo) there's a drain that comes from the windscreen.

The guy tested with the grommet in & out and water was definitely pouring straight in that way.

You can take the quarter panel off or unclip the plastic wheel arch lining and stick your head in there to see if the grommet has popped out or not.

Total repairs and paint was around $2500

Cut out both the outer layer (pictured) and the middle layer or steel. The back layer was cleaned up and sealed before replacement outer & middle panels were welded back into place.

• 4 months later...