Negative Fuel Trims at Idle

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

Yeah dunno. I guess I could replace the sensor and switch it back on to see what happens in the name of science.

An example of one thing I read:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/37442/is-the-after-catalyst-oxygen-sensor-used-for-engine-mixture-control

• 5 months later...
  • Gold Donating Members

Unfortunately this issue continues to hang around, even though at times it looks a bit better. 

I built a tune that basically got rid of any lambda corrections, kept the car in open loop and targeted a flat 0.95 everywhere so I could see easily what was going on. Car could happily hold commanded lambda with a bit of load, but was very rich at idle. Made me suspicious of fuel pressure and also I think eliminated things like an erratic O2 sensor.

Had some rose joints replaced in the rear yeaterday so got them to test my fuel pressure while they had it. Had been tested before (reported back as "ok") so asked for the actual value.  Good news is that it was 65psi at idle - I think I've found the cause of my negative fuel trims.

Reckon step 1 is to disconnect the return line under the car and point it at the mower petrol tin. If the fuel trims settle down while idling, I know I've got an issue somewhere between there and the tank. Hard lines all look good so reckon checking the pump module would come after that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • Gold Donating Members

Finally got around to sorting this. Pulled the fuel module out, as last time I'd had to reuse some fuel hose and wanted to have both lines using the proper flexi stuff.

Drilled out the fuel return thing in the bottom of the cradle to 4mm

But I also noticed that the return port in the cradle was blocked. Not sure if there is meant to be something there or not, but either way it wasn't passing any fluid. So drilled that out too. Before and after pics below.

I now have positive fuel trims (remembering that I fudged my low slopes to tune around the issue temporarily) so think I have resolved the fuel pressure issue.

I'll do a few km to make sure the trims continue like that, then flash the correct low slopes back on.d752c903f88b6f3f1a7f5cd370a2212a.jpgdfb429bb09c85a53e9fb5e48becc743c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 3m 5d

Thanks Andrew

Any updates to the issue??

I was about the fudge up the low scope trims to resolve as well, though now that you mention pump!!!

I am seeing the same problems with mine, after I fitted a complete 255L Walbro drop in unit

I suspect the seller never drilled the required holes, Can you kindly pin point the other hole that requires drilling to 4mm? and what size you drilled the return port?,

I will pull the pump today and check

Many thanks for posting this !! Great Help

Edited by BarraT

• Gold Donating Members

Hey mate. I honestly can't remember exactly where the other hole was, but I remember just visually tracing how fuel flows through the module to identify any restrictions so I suspect it will be obvious once you are in there. Sold the car last Friday so I can't even have a look to confirm.

I did also have to adjust the low slope a little to get LTFT spot on. As Puff says this is likely just due to aftermarket dump and cat so nothing unusual.

Since the above, car behaved beautifully in the years following.

• Like 1