EGAS TURBO ON PETROL WITH ORIGINAL PISTONS

bonny

• Member For: 5y 19d

okay so I need to settle this once and for all, I’ve searched for weeks and cannot get a straight answer, can I bolt a turbo onto the egas engine and still run it on 98 with stock boost with the higher compression of the egas pistons?

really want to avoid opening the engine up to change pistons. and if so are the any problems with fitting the fuel rail to the egas head? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

That'll be fine but it'll need a tune to fix the timing.

The fuel rail bolts to the intake manifold, not the head. You can't fit a fuel rail to a gas intake manifold because the injector locations aren't machined out.

What is your end goal and what car is it? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yes, it'll run with the higher compression and the higher octane fuel. But it'll need a tune to suit if you want it to run as you'd expect a stock car to run.

I have a egas ute that’s immaculate, so I’m converting it to turbo I was given an 6 speed manual xr6 turbo ute from my old man that has a hole blown in the engine, so I have everything I need to do it including the intake manifold and computer ect ect 

do you’s know if it’s just a simple flash tune or would it have to be a custom dyno tune?

so no go for the flash tune? just planning on stock power as I’m going to build up the other motor with forgies so don’t see the point forking out for a custom tune if I don’t have to 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

It would be pretty unlikely that you'll be able to find a modified tune to suit the setup, that you can just flash in and have it work. You could make some calls and you might get lucky.

Considering that everything else is stock it should be a bit cheaper to get custom tuned, as all they need to do is modify the timing.

I had to pull 4 degrees of timing from a turbo tune at low load areas when I used a gas motor. You could hear it knocking just driving around gently. I pulled over by the end of my street to fix it cos it was that bad. 

If you don't want to tune it then the next best thing to do would be to run about 8 litres of e85 for every full tank of 98. That should be enough to stop it knocking while not leaning it out too much.

You have to do something cos it won't be ok otherwise.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1d

Whatever tune you get it will have to be licensed to the vin. you only pay once for this licence no matter how many different motors you fit. Of course the tune will be different but the licence will be the same. So your not paying for a whole tune package everytime

• Like 1

really appreciate the help fellas,

4321, I’ve had someone get the license for my current egas pcm but I will be swapping to the turbo pcm, does that mean I have to unlock the vin for the car that it came off?

next question is electrical, so obviously I have no wiring for fuel or anything like that as my ute is egas, do I have to swap over the whole harness, or am I going to find all the plugs tucked away somewhere?

also same thing with all the wiring bit for the turbo?