FG XR6T Rear Axle Replacement Options

PAH

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 9d

Guys,

My 2008 XR6T is making a bit of a hummy noise on cruise at about 110kmh.  I can rule out the tailshaft.  The next suspects on my hit list are the half shaft axles to the rear wheels.  Should the OEM factory axles last longer than 10 years / 130k kms?

The factory axles have been OK for the first 10 years so I suspect that they should be OK for the next 10 years.  I'm looking at around $2100 for new factory axles plus fitting and $3000 for Heavy Duty axles.  Has anybody found a supplier of quality FG XR6T axles at a better price?

Another worry is my Eddie-the-Expert backyard diagnostics.  I'm chasing a hummy noise at 110kmh on cruise on uphill runs.  The noise disappears when coasting downhill.   If I add the axles to the tailshaft shotgun list, what's next when chasing (assumed) transmission noise?  

PAH

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1d

Does the noise change with throttle input (diff) does it vary with side load (going around corners) wheel bearings, as you vary the load going around corners ie a hardleft turn will put weight on the right wheel bearing and the noise will change. tailshaft problems are 'usually' acompanied by vibrations.Axels you can get from repco for about $200 each, they look stronger (thicker) than genuine but they are about the same with better warranty than ford. I'm thinking its the diff but it could be as simple as exhaust touching or stuffed diff bush's. Get some one to drive while you sit in the back & try to zero in on where the noise is comimg from

Edited by 4321

• Donating Members

Thanks for the info mate.  The Repco axles last as long as the factory Ford parts?

I've been reading another thread on the forum and I picked up that Pedders sells 700HP axles.  Does anybody have any info on these?  I'll guess that they're heaps more than $200 each.  Any feedback from anybody on the Pedders axles?

I also found the AADI web page.  Has anybody tried the AADI axles and if so any feedback?

PAH.

• Donating Members

Thanks Puffwagon,

Where's the Driveshaft Shop?  Looks like its in the USA.  Correct?

I just picked up that Repco have a 25% discount on XR6T driveshafts but the sale ends Sunday 10th March 2019.   If anybody has any negative feedback about these shafts please let me know QUICKLY.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/repco/repco-cv-drive-shaft-nsa1038/p/A9496175

PAH

Edited by PAH

• Donating Members

K31TH,

Greetings and hallucinations.   And thanks for the info.

On the one hand, I've had the since new and it's 10 years old.  I'm not sure that I'll need to get another 10 years out of replacement Repco drive shafts.  Not unless FG XR6T prices jump north like GTHO and XU-1 prices.  On the other hand the last 10 years include standard running with the factory flywheel 270kw's.  

I suspect that the Pedders 700hp shafts will be heaps more $ than the Repco shafts on special tomorrow so I think I'll give the Repco units a go.

Thanks all for your inputs.

PAH