BF XR6T ZF 6 speed goes into neutral whilst driving

Charlief

• Member For: 7y 2m 19d

I have an issue where my 2007 BF XR6T appears to go into neutral sometimes whilst I'm driving. The car has done 167K

It has happened 3  times now. The first time it happened, I was driving to work and stopped at set of traffic lights. When I pressed accelerator, it just revved and did not move. I thought it may have went into limp mode, but it wasn't moving. I moved the shifter to park and back and I eventually drove off. The second time it happened I was actually driving doing about 60kmh backed off the throttle and then went to accelerate again, and it just revved with no power at all. Since I was moving, kept trying to apply pedal and it eventually engaged. The third time it happened briefly while I was driving it sort of just revved out but then drove ok. The car drives fine apart from what happened above. This all happened of the last few days.

Any ideas what it could be. I have had the ZF 6 speed serviced with new oil as well as new steel sump pan installed about 6 months ago by transmission place in Parramatta. Could it be the TPS?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had it checked by the Auto Transmission place that did the original transmission service 6 months ago, and they found no problems. They check for any error codes and there was none. He also checked the fluid levels and they all were fine. Maybe electrical issues somewhere, but looks like I have to hope it doesn't happen again. It appears to be very random (usually a few minutes after starting), and has only happened 3 times over 2 days. Hasn't happened since first posting on 3/3/19.

The transmission place mentioned something about worn bushes maybe, but didn't confirm any problems with the box. He said it could be the first signs of a problem, and may need eventual overhaul. He didn't look at it for very long (about 45 minutes), but he did scan for codes and checked the fluid levels on the hoist.

• 1 month later...

Still having the issues.  It will happen randomly and it just drops into neutral and won't go into drive until I move the shifter around . This time I also had a Code: P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction. (MLP).

I took it back to Transmission place and and they couldn't find anything. They check all the connectors and wiring etc and all good. They said it is probably battery, but I did change battery around 6 months ago.

I'm starting to think it's the coil packs now. I had a similar issue where the car would display some of the lights on the dash and I would lose speedo. A stop and restart fixed it, but happened intermittently until I changed the coils and plugs around 40000kms ago. I used the VDO coil packs and motorcraft platinum plugs. I have new spark pugs (NGK) already. I'll just get some genuine Ford Coil Packs and see.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

Well, aftermarket coils have been known to cause a large number of electrical problems in these cars, so it's not the worst idea to get some OEM ones.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...