Supporting Mods for Tune FG XR6 TURBO

EgoXR6Turbo

• Member For: 6y 1m 6d

Hi

Im getting my car tuned next week and it currently has a twin 2.5 inch VENOM exhaust and KPM streetfighter intake. Its a FG manual XR6 Turbo. 

Im not looking for any crazy power levels and want to retain the factory inter cooler and injectors. I was just wondering though is there any benefit to also getting the VENOM hi flow cat section and an alloy piping kit. I have had some feedback that the injectors will limit the tune and the CAT have no benefit unless I upgrade the injectors. On the other hand I have been told that CAT will make a huge difference particularly with the tune regardless if the injectors are stock. 

I see lots of claims the factory plastic cooler pipes blow off under more boost or break etc but I cant actually find anything to suggest this actually happens. I wouldn't have thought this actually happens particularly if im only running around 14 pound which is not a huge amount more over stock boost. Ive been told by some shops its a must do as the standard pipes/clamps are only good for 8PSI then other shops state for what you want they will be fine.  Can anyone shed any light on this. 

Lastly what sort of comfortable power can be made out of the factory intercooler core? Is 270 to 280 RWKW safely achievable and repeatable for the mods I have. 

Any feedback would be great. 

Thanks,

Thanks mate. So even chasing the sort of power im after with the mods I have piping kit is worth doing. I was looking at the intune piping kit. Are these alright as they are over the half price then plazmaman kit. Any thoughts on if doing the CAT is worth it considering injectors, cooler and fuel pump will be staying standard?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

As arronm said, the plastic pipes split, even on stock boost sometimes. It's not compulsory to do this mod, but it's a good "insurance policy" on pipe failure... you can decide if it's worth the outlay.

270-280rwkw is about your limit with FG XR6T injectors, on a reasonably conservative duty cycle. You won't make the power consistently with the stock intercooler, either, as it'll heat-soak after just a couple lengthy WOT applications. Stock is around the 240rwkw mark.

No point getting a catalytic converter section if you're not getting injectors, imho.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

If it's a MKII then you can knock the bung out of the CAT before the tune instead of needing to think about a replacement - pretty much opens the exhaust

So I got the piping kit so I dont have to worry about that. One thing I was reading on this form was the oil pump and oil pump gears. My car is manual and with the tune I am expecting around 260 to 270 RWKW. Is oil pump and oil pump gears going to be an issue with this sort of power. Only information I could fine was it affecting cars with well over 300RWKW which is a big jump from 270RWKW. It is my daily so it doesn't get flogged often but it will seem some track time and a couple of drag meets . 

Should I be concerned about this and look at changing the pump, pump gears and housing?

Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

if you keep it off the limiter then the pump gears will likely be fine below 300kw... if you go for way more than 350, it's a must-do, imho.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 7d

I've been running ~400/440rwkw (98/e85) since 2014...manual, std pump gears. Not very clever but definitely not the only one at that sort of power or higher.

Basically cos I'm tight, I'm in that space where any extra performance would be pretty poor return $/kw

But bumping it up to the next level and oil pump & gears would be right at the top of the list

As keef said keep it off the limiter and you'll be sweet at that level