ZF external cooler install and transmission service - How to

El Andrew

• Member For: 5y 7m 14d

Ah - oops I misread your item description. Not sure how I missed that!

It appears the only difference between the Derale 25782 and 15782 is the addition of the 2 barbed fittings on the 15782 kit.

Yeah the cooler is a bit bigger than the one you're using. I'll get under the car and take some measurements this weekend to see if such a thing will fit in the same spot like you've done as that looks like a great place - out of the way and short oil lines!

Rubber mount the cooler? How come? Because of the fan vibration/noise or?

Cheers
Hunt

Doesn't look like that cooler will fit - 34x23cm is just a bit too big.

How did you build your bracket? And where have you mounted it to? Have you mounted it to the chassis rail only? Or is there also a fixture point above the cooler that I can't see from the pics?

Cheers!
Hunt

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2019 at 11:49 PM, arronm said:

NxcG9Xo.jpg

Hi Aaron.

Couple of questions.

That mounting bracket you've used, what and where is that from? It looks like a great fit. And have you bolted it to the chassis rail one on side only? Or is there a bracket up top that we just can't see?
And in the left of that pic (towards the front of the car) it looks like there is a notch cut out in something that's going straight up. Is that just camera trickery or what is that?

Cheers!
Hunt

• 1 month later...

The smaller cooler and fan/thermostat from Aeroflow is not available for a few months. Looking at this but it might be a bit big to fit in that gap in the trans trunnel?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aeroflow-AF72-6001-13-5-X-9-Comp-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-120w-Fan-Switch-10AN/132381548219?epid=8034416803&hash=item1ed28e1ebb:g:ebkAAOSw4DJYkV6o

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 17d

Going the stand alone option for trans & oil coolers will likely be the way to go in the future.  I've just been through the proper I <3 Bananas around with the plastic thermo valve for the trans, no kits available.    And my ute becomes a bit of a slug in the heat, the more effective cooling you can give them, the better.

• 1 month later...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 27d

Finally finished this one off on the weekend - had been waiting until I needed to dump the coolant anyway before removing the heat exchanger from the cooling system.

1. Remove one of the coolant lines from the heat exchanger and allow the coolant to drain (remove the bung from the radiator too if you are planning on a full coolant change)
2. Remove the second coolant line
3. Unbolt the heat exchanger from the side of the engine and throw it in the bin.
4. Remove the short hose that runs from the heat exchanger to the block. At the block end, there's a 90 degree plastic fitting with one of those connections where you push the hose further on, push the side tabs in, then pull back. It is a bit of a pain - you can unplug the smaller starter motor wire to get some more access for your fingers.
5. Once you have this length of hose removed, pry open the oetiker clamp holding the hose to the plastic fitting
6. Re-using a hose clamp, connect the other coolant line to the plastic fitting, and refit to the side of the block. So basically you have removed the heat exchanger and the short piece of hose.
7. Refill with coolant

• Like 1

• k31th pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...