ZF external cooler install and transmission service - How to

El Andrew

• Member For: 5y 7m 15d

I think on a commute on a warm (over 20C) day with stop/start driving plus some 50-60km stuff, it will get to 85-90C or so, but then the fan kicks in and keeps it in check. It was just at the track there wasn't any airflow to or away from the fan/cooler so the cooler was sitting in a hot box and couldn't evacuate the hot air. With the undertray in place and all the other plastic covers etc - it's pretty sealed in there.

Yeah I'm thinking the 105/106C I saw was not what caused it to go into limp mode, and it was probably the engine oil overheating that caused it. Which seems crazy that it happened so fast - 5 minutes on the track is all I would get without having to do a cool down lap or two.

• 3 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 11d

120 for limp mode in the zf, about 129-130 for the engine oil.

110 degrees at eastern creek with my big derale cooler and fan and limp mode came from engine temps not trans.

Wakefield zf sits at about 100-105.

This is in winter so single digit ambient temps.

Awesome write up, might tackle a zf service at some stage.

• Like 1

Have you cut slots or anything in the inner guard to allow the hot air to evacuate?
I was thinking of cutting a big hole in the inner guard and bolting a metal vent/grille so the cooler is protected from stones and debris but still able to be vented.

I did look at pulling the spotlight out but wasn't sure on how its done. Is it something that can be done from underneath with just the bottom tray removed or do you need to take bumper off to do that?

Cheers
Hunt

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 11d

No slots, I have seen ppl cut slots but I thought I’d see how temps go and they seem fine. Some of the black plastic is cut where the oil lines go back under the car and I cut them out a bit more as a bit of an evac point but it’s not much bigger than a fist size. No pics but its the black plastic from the under tray that encloses underneath if that makes sense.

Drivers side with a smaller engine oil cooler I can get out the fog light easily, the passenger side with this massive cooler see below it was a real pita this track day season (winter). Because I put in the biggest zf cooler I could it made getting at the final screw brutal. Next year I’ll take the front bar off it’ll be easier.

e0e84ea80ab60ed8e904ba3a3ccf270e.jpg

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 24d

Why not just put the cooler in a location it can receive air flow???

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

Thanks Aaron.

Interesting location. Not sure my cooler would fit in that gap but I will definitely measure it and see!

I do need an engine oil cooler as well (getting over temp errors on tack), so either engine oil cooler in the same spot as you suggested and leave trans cooler where it is under the headlight and look into venting it.

OR

Run a cooler on each side of the trans tunnel, but this means that one of the pairs of hoses will have to cross the trans tunnel to reach the cooler.