ZF external cooler install and transmission service - How to

El Andrew

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d
On 17/02/2019 at 10:02 AM, El Andrew said:

Haha did that during the job already! Was 38 degrees most of the time.b08656f99705fa862a4dec5d91386057.jpg

Your horns are pointing up.  They are going to get full of water.  

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Your fan should pull the air.  The fans are designed to sit behind the cooler out of the direct air flow. 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 26d
Your fan should pull the air.  The fans are designed to sit behind the cooler out of the direct air flow. 
I'm not sure that's correct in this case as it is impossible to mount that way and comply with the airflow marking on the fan.

From the instructions:
"All fans are assembled to be mounted upstream (in front of radiator/condenser)."

There are instructions to modify if downstream is necessary due to insufficient space.

• Gold Donating Members

Both! Have an 85 degree thermo switch plumbed near the transmission outlet with an LED inside the cabin, plus a manual override switch on the side of the steering column so I can force the fan on if I want.

Both switches wired in parallel to the relay so either one can trigger the fan.

• Like 2

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
3 hours ago, El Andrew said:

I'm not sure that's correct in this case as it is impossible to mount that way and comply with the airflow marking on the fan.

From the instructions:
"All fans are assembled to be mounted upstream (in front of radiator/condenser)."

There are instructions to modify if downstream is necessary due to insufficient space.

You are correct but that's an inefficient way to mount. BUT as yours doesn't have direct air flow it doesnt matter..

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 5y 7m 14d

Great write up!
I have done something similar but am getting up to 106C on the track and the car goes into limp mode until things cool down. I assume it's the trans temp that's causing it to go to limp mode. Although at one point I also got an engine oil temp code.

Have you thought about putting a louvre style vent in the inner guard to help evacuate the hot air? I haven't done that and my inner guard is super hot at the track.

• Gold Donating Members

@cat007 actually I was thinking about your post in another thread about this. I rarely get to 85 degrees, where my fan kicks in, and it sticks at that temp or below once the fan is running. That's just around town though.

I wouldn't have thought 105 degrees was hot enough for limp mode.

How hot do you get just commuting etc? My inner guard is always cool to the touch so haven't thought any further about trying to get heat out of there.

Should have a good 90 min run through the hills coming up in a few weeks to learn a bit more about the temps.