Looking at buying a used BF... what's the best oil cooler?

Dan_

• Member For: 5y 2m 4d

Hi all, currently own a BA XR6 which I have fitted the PWR trans cooler on to avoid milkshakes. I've seen what appears to be a mint condition BF with the ZF box with 220k on the clock which I would consider high enough KM's to warrant a external trans cooler. I'm thinking of picking it up as an upgrade to my BA, so been doing a lot of research on the ZF boxes and need some more advice on the best solution for preventing milkshakes.  

As I see it I could do three things;

First would be replacing the heat exchanger & flushing the coolant every few years to try to avoid a milkshake. 

Second would be fitting a PWR heat exchanger ($900+, ouch) but from what I've seen, even though it's much higher quality than the crappy Ford ones it could still fail. 

Third would be getting an actual external oil cooler. This seems like the best option but so many people are saying that it messes with the temps of the box... but I did see in this post here where an apparent ZF tech said that it was fine. I'm leaning towards this solution as it is really the only way to guarantee that it won't milkshake.  

The car may end up being used to tow stuff so I assume having an external cooler is apparently better for these scenarios too to keep temps reasonable under load. 

That said, would appreciate any feedback on these options and would like to know what you blokes are doing on your ZF boxes to avoid the milkshakes. 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 8m 5d

If towing go for something aftermarket and air cooled. Either fan forced or not. 

Do do a quick search there are some pics that @JETURBO posted a while back as have others. 

I have a contact at aeroflow and rocket  and also extremely good mates with Brett from 24/7 (owes me a few favs as well) so I can also get you a kit if wanted

Thanks guys. 

MBAF, appreciate the offer- how much are the kits? How do they compare to the PWR ones as I've been pretty happy with how the PWR cooler has worked on my BA.

Also I haven't bought the car yet, just checking it out for now but I'll definitely keep you in mind for when I do actually buy one. 

Cheers guys. Decided not to buy this specific one as it had a few other issues that I don't have time to fix right now, but still keeping my eye out for a perfect condition one. Will still PM you MBAF, thanks.