Forum Off Topic Flavour

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Hey guys,

Over the last month or so the "off topic" sections of the forum have been allowed to take on their own so called flavour of zero filtering.

This is something new compared to how the forum had been rolling since I joined.

Am tipping the previous moderation would not have let any of the threads move beyond "Rated PG13+" and I would like feedback on your thoughts here on which way to react.

Remember that we are still a car forum first and foremost and also open to access by pretty much anyone.

I've got no real issues (personally) with the way chat has been flowing and haven't had any complaints, reports or concerns sent to me, but I'm not sure where to sit with regards to the more risque trend the off topic threads seem to be moving to with regards to the way we want the forum to head in the future.

Please add your thoughts - I may end up making a single thread (probably the OT one) the free space, and crack down on anything "pink" when it extends to others

I may need to make the more "adult" (not meaning maturity) chat behind a barrier, so it's not visible to non-members or random internet visitors.

It's very rare that I feel the need to do any censoring but the general theme of the OT stuff is getting beyond what the forum has let pass previously.

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

I'm herring you @Rab

I am guilty of sh*t I shouldn't say

but some people just piss me off 

like what is transpiring in the WMMFGT thread right now

Edited by bloodycrashboy

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

I really think OT and WMMFG etc should only be accessible to members who sign up and have a username etc 

Other than that I couldn’t care less and I’m really loving the chat lately as it’s fun and hilarious. For the most part lol

• Like 2

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 7m 14d

It’s certainly caused by one person and I have no issue with it on a personal level but there is also a point that it seems to be going past which isn’t healthy for other members 

there some to be a need to fit in by said person and while I’m sure we are all guilty the constant treat women like sluts talk is very visible to the outside world and not just us regulars (not that I’m super regular but trying to be now) 

I certainly agree with fluff, those should be visible to log in members and not anonymous or public guests to save some forum dignity

Edited by MBAF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Cheers - I'm loving the banter, but yeah - I agree

The "optics" (it's a new thing apparently) needs to be kept legit.

Will wait for a reply from Keith as to whether the normal OT threads are visible but will probably split the OT thread to an OT and an OT18+, make sure the 18+ isn't visible and crack down on smut talk.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
48 minutes ago, Rab said:

@k31th - are the OT forums members only?

nope, the donating member statuses allow you into some "DM" specific versions of the popular public "OT" threads. Any forum member (signed up) can post in any of the OT threads and any non-member can view them.

non-members (e.g. guests) can't post, but can view all public threads except the "region-specific" threads, e.g. Victoria/NSW/SA/etc.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Thoughts on the current "flavour"?

Or anyway to keep a 16yo version of OT away from the public, but open to members

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

That’s ghey and doesn’t conform nor promote any good image for the forum regardless of what is talked about imo. 

Only vehicle topics should be public for guests. 

OT should always be free from public 

• Like 3