Headphone Magic

Rab

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d
1 hour ago, bloodycrashboy said:

what about The Realiser A16 ???

Put some headphones on and try the vids below (needs headphones)

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Chesky and HD Recordings have stuff in Binaural

Aren't after that. Have done that.

Am after making stereo and 5.1, 7.1,......  9.4.2 (whatever the normal movie/sound stuff is) sound like what binaural does for stereo.

With headphones.

Am up to the stage where I can wear headphones and be able to tell where everything is.

7.1 wearing headphones - sounds are "out of my head", not from the two speakers strapped to my ears.

Have even got head tracked ones (Audeze Mobius) where, if the screen in front of me is playing and I turn my head - the sound still sounds (......) as if it's coming from where the screen is.

Imagine whatever game you're playing - creepy uncle bumblefuck sneaking up on you - you can hear exactly how far away and where he is.

Or in an FPS - footsteps - you can turn and shoot at where you hear the footsteps and you can kill a person.

Movies - you get full on, real cinema sound

Music - you get honest 2 channel separated noise 

Take it to the next level (which they are starting to do with Atmos and Atmos for Headphones) - you can even hear them above you.

All those use "generic" algorithms and "generic" ears to make those sounds.

What the A16 will do (as the A8 does) is put the mic's in my ear (ear buds), record the test sounds from speakers and calculate a very personalised algorithm for me.

The A8 = 7.1 (8 speakers)

The A16 includes height = 9.5.2 (16 speakers) meaning top firing (I think they can actually go up to 32 or higher with the Ambisonics now)

It also will capture the room as well as the speakers etc - meaning you can thrown on the headphones and not be able to tell the difference between a $500k room/speaker setup and your bedroom.

If the front, right $70k speaker is 20m from you in real life in a properly treated room when you calibrated the algorithm - using the unit wearing headphones it'll still sound like a $70k speaker 20m from you to the right in a properly treated room.

Even if you're on the crapper.

Hell - if you can manage to work a way to get your calibrations done at the best sound stages in the world - on the most expensive systems in the world - you'll be able to replicate that at home.

The good thing about this is they have a system where they can mix my personal data with someone else's calibrations to give me 90% of it as if I'd been there to do it personally.

The only thing it misses out on is the chest-thumping bass which you can't get while wearing headphones... the unit has a plug for tactile (have already got Bass-Shakers/Buttkickers at home)

• Like 2

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
2 minutes ago, bloodycrashboy said:

it's pretty cool stuff

I honestly play music through headphones that make the hairs on my arms and back of the neck stand up - and/or bring tears to my eyes

I'd need many, many more dollars spent and a dedicated, properly designed and deadened room to get me that far with speakers.

I wasn't joking when I said I'd spent however many dollars on my headphone stuff, but I'll get 90% of that back when I sell off what I don't need.

<$1k would get you 99% of the way there - my issue was working out what I liked (am about the $5k range with headphones/DAC/AMP)

<$300 would get you 98% of the way there

$70 would get you 95% there lol (hairs may not stand up and you may not cry though - that doesn't happen til 96%+)

Remind me next time we catch up to bring a setup for you to take home and play with.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
On 30/01/2019 at 11:35 PM, bloodycrashboy said:

I can now understand a bit better why you have so many headphones

I'm intrigued

This unit is the one I'm waiting on - not offloading any headphones until I get it and filter out the ones I want to keep.

Got in on the Kickstarter for about $1500 - it's launching at $US4k when it gets released

With the unit you put little microphones (like ear buds) in your ears and it does room sweeps (test tones) to let it hear what you hear from all the speakers. The you put the headphones on (with the ear buds still in) and it plays the tones back through the headphones so it can work out the differences.

From that it works out your own personal calculations for the room, your head and also the headphones your using.

Then you put the headphones on and the sound is the same as coming from whatever room/studio/theatre the measurements were taken in.

It does headtracking (sensor you attach to the headphones) so when you move your head the sound stays at a fixed point

I could take the measurements in @.Stripes. living room with his new speakers and it'd sound exactly the same as if I was sitting in his chair - wherever I was. If his window reflects the noise on the left side - it'll sound the same etc.

Could take measurements in the best studio in the world - would sound the same - up to 16 speakers 

Can also use other peoples rooms/measurements and the software will separate the room, headphones and head from those measurements, convert them to mine and I'll be 90%?? able to be in the room they recorded in. (e.g. - I could sit on the crapper and listen to the music/movie as if I was at Festival Hall, Stripes recliner (sorry about the skid marks), Skywalker Ranch Sound Studio (where they do the sound for the Star Wars movies etc) or the hole in the wall pub down the corner - as long as someone got the measurements done in those places)

Before they did the A16 they had the A8 (7.1.2 - 8 horizontal speakers) and it was something I'd lusted after for years. The A16 adds the height (+/-) measurement/tracking and 8+ more speakers.

Video of one of the main headphone "guru's" after trying it:

Music and industry people trying it (apparently you need to be well fed) - they don't believe it's through the headphones, not the speakers playing

Demo for the production guys at the BBC

• Like 2