FG Turbo Engine Heat - Do I need a Vent?

FASTBARA

• Member For: 5y 1m 25d

Hi Guys, 

New to this forum Guys. 

I have an tuned up 2011 XR6T FG. 1000cc injector, SC Chip and Tune, Hotdogs and Factory Cat. Graph shows 290 rwkw

Car runs well and has not issues or error codes. However after short drives in suburban speed limits (50-80) for 20-30 minutes the bonnet is Freaken hot to touch, especially on a warm day like today. I can literally cook an egg I reckon on it. Coolant Temp gauge shows below half while running. Coolant level is at max and was topped 1322 kms ago while servicing. No leaks in the coolant or engine area. Bonnet has a heat shield  in the middle 

Should I be concerned? Is this normal for all FG XR6T.

I called the dealership few weeks ago when outside temp hit 40's and the guy said its normal on a hot day. My car is parked in the garage and not in the sun. Should normal driving 20-30 mins at there speeds heat the engine bay up so much? Rest of the car does not heat up so I know its not the sun and is an engine bay issue.

Thanks for your help. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

yeah, that's all normal for an engine running hot... you can add some more heat shielding around the turbo and manifold to help out with the under bonnet temps.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

@k31th Thanks for the welcome and answer.

Could that be affecting the engine performance? I have a factory heat shield on the Manifold but none of the Turbo. Do I need one for the turbo? 

Sorry asking as I am new here. I have quite a few questions about my XR6T. Do I need to create a new post for each or can ask here in this thread?

Edited by FASTBARA

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, high IAT's (Intake Air Temperature) definitely affects performance of the tune as you have less oxygen in the cylinder, literally, so you can't make as much power.

There's a heat-shield on the exhaust side of the turbo, over the dump pipe and rear section of the exhaust manifold, over the remainder of the exhaust manifold next to the compressor side of the turbo and between the dump pipe and the intermediate steering shaft.

if you want to just ask heaps of questions about your car in particular, make a thread about the car and post some pics :)

Thanks @k31th  My car seems to have all the heat shield there when I look in the bonnet. Do I need one of these?

I have an OTR in the car which is factory and running K$N high Flow filters. 

Sorry for the stupid question, How do I upload a picture? Can't see an icon for it and cut paste will not work.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
Just now, FASTBARA said:

How do I upload a picture?

Keefy man, keefy man, does whatever a keefy can, loves to give good advice, even if it's more than twice.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, a blanket can help, but has potential drawbacks, too. Some research is probably in order for ya :)

interesting intake... not many are OTR on these cars, definitely going to need pics :)

all good, you're definitely not the first (or the last) to ask for instructions on how to upload pics. My instructions are here -> https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/92470-how-to-put-images-in-your-post/

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

some have, yeah... it's not super simple to engineer them to actually make a difference and/or look good in the process.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d

@OZYWALKER has done some experimentation in this department

The post I linked below has a pic of it as it is now with a custom bonnet, but he also tried other vents, further back in his thread...good read all round

• Like 3