2010 FG XR6 Weird Whine

CaseyVII

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

Well I better get back on topic. I bought my car brand new and within the first 10000km I knew I had a whine.

After that I tried to convince ford that there was something wrong and this went on for months.

Eventually I got to the point where I threatened to return the car and managed to convince the service manager to go for a drive with me.

He knew right away what it was within 5 mins of driving. He told me to go back to the service centre. 2 weeks later I had a new diff installed in the car.

Main things I need to point out. The whine happened at 65-67km/h. This is the speed I set my cruise control at quite often in town.

The could not be any load on the engine like going up a hill as it would not whine. flat road where the car was coasting is where you could really hear it.

I still have a small whine now at about 56km/h but I hardly ever cruise at that speed and the loud exhaust I have cancels it out.

I did try changing the diff oil and it did not make a difference.

Good luck with the warranty @CaseyVII

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 16d

I got rid of the wine in my FG by having the diff rebuilt with a Harrop TrueTrac. Did add some extra clunking noises though, so there's that.