XR6 turbo breakdown at high boost (not spark blowout)

frankieh

• Member For: 10y 7m 22d

Hi,   I've changed coils  before too.. but then I spent 560 buying what are supposed to be the worlds best coils.. used in massive boost applications.    and then I put a voltage booster on them so they get a minimum of 14volts all the time.    When I put all that in, it was the first time I had a great idle and no spark blowout on boost.   but I will try swapping in some known good ones if it's still an issue after I change the plugs I guess.

Well I had perfect genuine plugs and coils and if I only run petrol I'd have been fine...       But with the JTG LPG injection I can run 16PSI with advanced timing giving me 520ish HP at the back wheels.

The problem I had with the LPG is that I either had a rough idle. (small gap and LPG) or a good idle, (standard gap) and spark blow out after about 12PSI.

So I bought the WeaponX coils and they did not help at all..  as it turned out they didn't help at all because they use loads more current and voltage than the coil rail can provide.    Hence the voltage booster..      With 14ish volts to the weaponX coils, I could run a 1.1 gap for a perfect idle on LPG and still not blow out spark at 16psi.   Plus the car actually felt super smooth in a way I've never seen in another falcon before..   at least it did until my recent issues.

I don't really think it's the plugs or the coils to be honest..   my reason for that is because it isn't one cylinder that goes when it's spluttering as is usually the case with a dud coil..   the engine loses all power so for whatever reason it seems like the PCM is doing this.. I wish PCM's had a syslog of events I could look at.

Losing the weaponX's would cause problems because the dwell is calibrated for them in the tune.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

The problem was a dodgy sparkplug.. looked perfect from the outside but the combination of the 80k volt coils and the voltage booster must have burned though internal insulation..  put a new set of plugs in and it smoothed right out.

thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1