Anyone had a late model BMW and rate it ?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Ok plum lovers I’m looking to upgrade the Flogadoor soon and I thought I’d get in early with research and finding out what’s what in the euro scene and in regards to reliability and quality as there’s loads of information out there but the best information is first had from previous or current ownership. Like most of us we have more than one car and probably have had a variety of platforms over our time and without a good Aussie built vehicle at hand the euro market is very popular and being such the wife and I bought a new Prado MY18 nearly 12 months ago now and it’s brilliant but now the HSV had had it’s soon to be marching orders from my tax and financial adviser I’m keen to get into something nicer again

looking at Audi RS3 Mercedes CL 250-300’s and now mainly BMW 530-540I and or maybe the M3-M5 ( maybe ) 

tell me your thoughts if anyone has anything interesting to say about each or any as it’s extremely biased on either of the forums related to said vehicles 

this looks to be the winner in my mind so far 

Edited by JETURBO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

you think anybody has had one here? lol

anyway...

@Henz had a 7 series or something for a while there. Might be able to give you some honest advice if he ever comes back on here :P

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, or what they drive as a daily ;) 

Who knows what people have in their sheds but I’m never surprised these days so I thought it was a reasonable question honestly 

anywhoo as you may be aware of the top specs have fallen into different categories being X series and SUV’s etc so the once lower specs now have more than ever and bigger price tags to boot, the new M3 fetches 150k and the M5 at 250k ( competition packs ) 

This new 5 series is equivalent to the old 7 series but for me I’m looking for that decent size sedan still ( C63/M5 etc etc ) but this 5 series is what I think is a perfect size. Multiple engine options and on shelf modification lists as long as my arm, that said I’m most definitely wanting tech vs power all over this time as it was my justification going to the VF R8 4 years ago and the lack of big power hasn’t had me phased at all 

This 530-540 is arguably amazing for technology and picking up a dealer demo is available at around 80-90k with 3 or 4000kms on the clock 

Size wise the BMW is the biggest for rear seating and boot capacity which is definitely needed but I’m torn between all three makes of vehicle ( BMW/AMG/RS3 ) 

looking for anyone who might have experience in anything late model but all platforms aren’t excluded from their problems..... 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah, you're right in asking the question in the first place; no problems there.

Maybe somebody will chime in :idunno:

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 26d

J@ didn't you have a C63 at some stage? I could have sworn you had one.

Why not the Audi RS4 station wagon?

I think that the Audi RS3 and the merc CL250/300 may be a tad small for a family car.  Oh and the lack of power from the Merc might drive you crazy.

I know the RS3 has almost 400 ponies, but would that satisfy you?

The Beamer seems to be the way to go, but in my case the servicing costs stop me from looking at them.

I lined up with a black RS4 station wagon this morning and that thing took off like a rocket, especially with AWD.

Oh I have not had any of the cars above.

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

We drove the 520d just for a starter to see if we liked the platform and I must say.... for a bmw hater ... I’m in love. The features are phenomenal, the interior is stunning, the seats are like clouds, the road noise is 0, the tech is just unbelievable.

It was just stunning to drive, I’m sold. 

Went to Mercedes and hated the e63 s amg.... it was so over done that it made the whole car feel like a cashed up bogan mobile. 

The trim and leather etc were just sh*t IMO and the car felt small and just underwhelming. 

I think the way to go is the 530 or 540.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 26d

cool. At least you went for a drive and checked it out. Now I know to steer clear of the E63.

Have you guys taken the audi out for a drive?

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 11d

DOOO EEEET!

I love the euro stuff. I'm thinking about getting one of these in about 6 months when its time to change the work car.

PAlMv5A.jpg

The R Line has a twin turbo Diesel V8. how does 800nm and 0-100 in 5.8 sound? not bad for a 2.5 tonne SUV. not to mention 9.5L/100km. 

and can still tow 3.5 tonne. :ok:

I already have had this model for a couple years, but the v6 diesel model. it is fantastic. not as ritzy as a beemer (la di da!) but man euro stuff is miles ahead in NVH.

Edited by Panda Eyes
cause
  • Like 1