Changing diff cover on the car?

ken666

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 3m 23d

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to replace the diff cover on a BA XR6T, without dropping the cradle?

I only had the cradle and all out of the car 2 weeks ago to replace the bushes and diff, but it appears that there must have been a fault or hairline crack in the alloy where the bolt goes in..... and it broke a piece off the top, and now the bolt just swings in the breeze!

Is this a common issue, or could it just be the result of the extra play when the bush was flogged out? 

Cheers Ken

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

probably just extra play from when it was flogged out.

nah, you can't replace the diff cover without dropping the cradle, unfortunately.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Donating Members

If I have to pull it all out again, I should learn a bit more about what parts I have to use to cope with the power and torque going through them.

My car is producing 612hp at the treads, and has destroyed 2 bushes since I got it 2 months ago.....

The first was a rubber OEM type with the shell, so I fitted a solid blue urethane one, but it quickly broke free of the alloy tube its bonded to and was forced out of the tube on the cradle and over the head of the bolt? (I have fitted a 45mm washer/retainer to hopefully resolve this issue with the latest bush)

I replaced it with a nolathane unit with the relief holes in it, hoping that they will absorb some of the load.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

well, if you make it solid, they it just transfers the load to the bolt and housing... it needs some holes and a bit of softness to actually absorb the forces through it.

while it's apart the second time, get the IMS twin-bush kit put in, to avoid further diff bush/bolt/housing problems.

• Donating Members

that's a much better design than the original. I will be building a new diff with lower gears to compensate for the turbo lag and the new cams I'm fitting in march, I will definitely fit a kit at the same time.

As the car is my daily driver, I wouldn't receive the parts before I return to work on the weekend. But I do have a spare cradle and diff assy that I will prepare ready to swap out.

Thanks for that tip