Turbo side intake - what to to with plumb-back?

cal0006

• Member For: 5y 3m 10d

Hi all, recently got into an FG-X XR6 Turbo with a turbo-side intake. Re-fitted the stock intake as it was included as it had a blocked BOV which didn't suit me at the time.

I'd like to re-fit the turbo-side cold-air intake, but am curious as to what my options are with where the plumb-back piping should go. I don't want to block the BOV if possible as I'm not really a fan of the flutter, what else can I do with the release of pressure?

Cheers.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You can vent it to atmosphere or run a pipe from the BOV outlet to the air intake box or piping (to re-circulate the BOV-released air into the intake).

Could I literally just have the intake side of the plumb-back just loose in the engine bay? So pipe > BOV > Pipe > open air?

Also, where should the small air tube nozzle at the end of the valve be plumbed to?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Well, that "pipe" off the BOV outlet is just pointless in that case, if you're going to vent it to atmosphere (not re-circulate back to the air intake); you may as well just have the air come straight out of the BOV itself and not have a pipe.

The small air-tube is a vacuum source so it should be connected to the intake manifold. When the intake manifold goes back to a vacuum (e.g. when the throttle closes after you are on boost) then this triggers the BOV (via that small tube) to open to let out the excess air in the cold-side piping that can't go into the throttle (as it's closed). You can choose to re-circulate this air into the intake or vent it to atmosphere.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Here is a pic of the parts used to plumb it back on a BF turbo. While the hose length etc may be different the principle is the same. The smaller fitting on the intake is for the pcv hose.

BDNAjyc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Here is a pic of the parts used to plumb it back on a BF turbo. While the hose length etc may be different the principle is the same. The smaller fitting on the intake is for the pcv hose.

BDNAjyc.jpg

Mhmm, I think mine is missing the second connector, as it only had one pipe going to it which when trying back to the breather; no provision for a plumb back it seems. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

What does your intake pipe look like? I have a 2.5inch pipe here with a 90 degree bend and both of those fittings on it that may fit.

It might be just as easy to get a place to weld a fitting on for you.