All States Tassie Tour 2019 - 7th March to 12th March

Rab

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

hahha, we do a fantastic road trip with our high powered rwd's and have done it a few times and it's absolutely epic. You just need to know where the actual good roads are.

are you joining us, @sixman?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d

You guys are braver than me. Although I drove pretty hard and made my daughter vomit in a 4wd.

Some of the roads were in bad shape, potholes etc. Put crappy wheels on.

Wish I could go, but with 3 kids 6-12yo, they dictate where we go these days.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

that's a real shame you're constrained by hte kids when you're actually willing to go. worth asking the missus if she's either willing to come or willing to let you go? haha

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Only sketchy roads we found were the goat tracks @EvilDaifu managed to find when he decided to get to the front ;)

Have done Tassy in cars and on bikes multiple time - best roads/runs I've ever been on.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

We'll be on the Isle for 4 nights and am after preferences people have for accomodation and roads/sight seeing

@YLD127 has a place on offer on the east coast (Triabunna - cheap - sleeping bag required) for us - am looking for your thoughts where (or if) to have 2 nights at the one place. Need to find out more about the place, but I'm not fussy.

I'd be happy to make that a base for 2 nights (off the boat -> north and east coast -> Triabunna)

From there look at what those on the cruise want to do - we'll have a full, easy day to explore the area depending on preferences:

Inland roads, coastal national parks (up north),  Port Arthur (south) etc 

I'd also be happy to totally bypass Hobart and spend the other 2 nights using Strahan as the next base (same "resort" as last time or the cabins we had the time before that?).

Free day there to run the inland and coastal roads we haven't done before.

What's everyone's thoughts on sleeping places/bases:

Boat 7th Thurs

Triabunna 8th Fri

Triabunna 9th Sat

<600kms including Strathgordon - full days drive with K31th deciding we need to do detours, stops and u-turns for photo ops etc. Derwent Bridge for lunch of course.

Strahan 10th Sun

Strahan 11th Mon

Boat 12th Tues

Bolded ones would be the ones I'd probably look at changing out (and am more than happy to swap out one or both - or any of the others)

@EvilDaifu @YLD127 @k31th - your thoughts?

If the 2/2 nights/locations suite you I'll look at booking accom - then look at routes etc.

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Annual Leave Request submitted ...

Just checked on Spirit of Tassie sailing costs and its $816 return for 1 passenger, 1 car and 4 berth cabin for the dates of the cruise.  From past experience, those who have just booked a recliner on the boat can stay in the 4 berth cabin as they provide enough linen and towels for 4 people even if 1 person is staying in the cabin.  Cabin is $139 per night.  Just to let people know - I snore something bad ...

For 1 person with 1 car one way - it's probably $160 + $109 i.e. $269 one way or about $535 return.

Not sure about accommodation costs as I don't think we've settled on where we will be over the days yet.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
5 hours ago, EvilDaifu said:

Not sure about accommodation costs as I don't think we've settled on where we will be over the days yet.

2 nights Triabunna, 2 Strahan sound good?