10 Psi tune only making 5 psi

Lucky1

• Member For: 5y 3m 22d

I have a XR6T that has a flash tuner and a 10 Psi tune I Finally installed boost gauge and tune seems to be only making 5 Psi where do I start to investigate this issue, could it be factory boost control value playing up ? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Well, often the boost you're said to be making is not something that you make earlier in the rev range, but only high up near the rev limiter. Do you have a dyno graph to compare it to?

No Dyno chart that is what I was thinking next I would think by 4000rpm I should be seeing over 5 Psi I’m pretty sure it has dropped the tune file on there, when I put it back to the stock tune it seems to respond and boost up to 5 Psi a lot quicker ? Compared to the 10 Psi tune that seems to be harder to get boost happening I’m running a ford flash 2 tuner and Capa tune cars basically stock with K&N filter I thought the factory boost control valve may not be bleeding off causing it to stay at factory boost  ? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

ask the tuner for a dyno chart? or was it not actually tuned on a dyno? if it wasn't tuned on a dyno, I'd be going to a new tuner, asap.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

I had one of those tune boxes once upon a time. does it have an 8 and 10 psi tune loaded onto it? I found my BA ran much better on the 8psi tune.

the problem is these tunes are generic and while they do work and according to CAPA are a safe tune you really need to take your car to a professional. If you can't afford to take the car to a tuner, can you afford a new motor/ rebuild? Im pretty sure they can still tune with the X2 but SCT are a pack of C**Ts so ask your tuner if they can work with the X2 when you book it in.

What state are you in?

Edited by skidxr6t

Yes it’s one with the two generic tunes 8, 10 Psi also have a 12 Psi tune for 42lb injectors which I have never done, I have the car just back on the standard tune for moment I want to do the injectors and highflow cat before it gets dyno tuned live in Tasmania 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Well, for one; get it tuned on a dyno, at a bare minimum. Don't even run the generic tunes. Just have a search on this forum for "generic tune" if you want some explanation for what occurs when you run one (spoilers: engine damage)

I don't know of any tuners in Tasmania to point you to, but there's plenty in Victoria if you're interested in bringing it over for a proper setup.

Also, you should join us on the Tassie cruise ->
https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/94444-proposed-tassie-cruise-2019-7th-march-to-12th-march/

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
4 hours ago, Lucky1 said:

Yes it’s one with the two generic tunes 8, 10 Psi also have a 12 Psi tune for 42lb injectors which I have never done, I have the car just back on the standard tune for moment I want to do the injectors and highflow cat before it gets dyno tuned live in Tasmania 

Put the car on the dyno and get the tunes checked. The tuner will tell you each  tune location, PSI and if the car is running lean etc. Maybe one of the tunes will be adequate. that's what I did when I got a car with a CAPA Box.. Cant retune but maybe the tune is OK...

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

All the info you need is right there in all the replies above.

Generic plug and play tunes are still relevant but definitely out dated.

They were aimed at giving people a tune which could just be thrown in the car and off ya go. (Take ya money and see ya later sort of thing.)

As Keith said get it to a Vic tuner, give him ya car and ya money and you won't regret out laying some hard earned coins.

Definitely get in contact with the tuner, tell him you wanna do injectors, high flow cat and a custom tune. He will either source the stuff for ya or send you away with a shopping list of goodies to get before tuning it.

Suggestion:  Mick at Pitlane          performance.

Plenty of other good tuners in Vic to help you out, get on the ferry.

• Like 1